Solved Dynamic IP Address and FQDN

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by phoanglong, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phoanglong

hi guys,

I have been testing 3CX for a few days now and i can tell that it is absolutely brilliant. Easy to setup, easy to configure.

And as i'm testing on a separate ISP network w/ dynamic Public IP and I understand that FQDN will be update every 6 hours for my type of licences. And to be honest, i don't mind waiting cause most of the testing will be done internally.

But, is there anyway to know when my FQDN will be update? every 6 hours in term of 00:00 (1), 06:00 (2), 12:00 (3) and 18:00 (4)?

Like I said, I don't mind waiting but it would be nice to know when you can access your server externally without the need of comparing previous IP and new IP every now and then.

Also, is it possible to update manually? with restriction to 1 time a day for testing.

Many thanks,

Long

2. AndreasPo_3CX

AndreasPo_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @phoanglong ,

If you are using a dynamic ip on your PBX, by default the PBX will perform a stun request every 20 minutes and update the DNS entry automatically. From there on out, it can take up to 24 hours for DNS propagation to reach you.
    It is not possible to update the FQDN manually if it is a 3cx FQDN. If you have your own FQDN and DNS, you can adjust the configuration based on the changes.

Hope this helps.

phoanglong likes this.
  3. phoanglong

Thank you for your answer, as my licence is free for testing, i guess it is impossible to have my own FQDN and DNS. Anyway, thank you for your answer.

4. AndreasPo_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Correct, with the free licence you cannot use your own FQDN.

5. phoanglong

just a quick note, after 96 hours of waiting for the FQDN to update, i have to stop using 3cx for testing. Eventhough it is great to use, easy to setup but as i will only use it as home-user, the wait of 96 hours for FQDN to update the domain is kind of ridiculous (even for free version).

6. AndreasPo_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

It should not take that long for the FQDN to update, try a nslookup of your FQDN against the Google DNS (8.8.8.8) and see if it resolves to the correct IP, it should by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.