• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved e-mail settings - solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ton van Gaalen

Reaction score
Just installed 3CX phone system v15.0.0 on Windows10. Installation went smooth. All appears to be working without a glitch. Except for my e-mail settings. I just cannot get e-mail to work. I am using a standard gmail account without 2-factor authentication. If I test with:

• smtp.gmail.com => 3CX states "invalid external certificate"
  • smtp.gmail.com:587 => the port number 587 disappears from the settings (!??) and 3CX states "invalid external certificate"
  • smtp/gmail.com:465 => the port number is stored in the settings as expected but 3CX states "Operation cancelled"
I am stuck; anybody who can help?

Hello there,

Please make sure that you are using a supported browser (try google chrome) and try accessing your gmail account from the PBX machine so that gmail can authenticate your machine. You will get a warning email in our gmail so you can authenticate your machine.
Port is not needed from what i tried.
What certificate did you use to install the PBX?

I am getting the same error, during the installations I used whichever certificate was available. Meaning I did not import my own certificate

I am already using Chrome, so that is not the issue. I used the default certificate provided by the 3CX installer. I believe 3CX uses the "Let's encrypt" service to generate a certificate on demand. Nothing out of the ordinary I think, so still looking for help on this one.

It gets more interesting. If I run a firewall check from the dashboard, the check routine disables/enables the 3CX services as part of the process. To my surprise I received a "Stopped services" notification e-mail. It appears the SMTP mail setup is correct, but parts of 3CX still cannot send out an e-mail. What I want to achieve is send out a welcome e-mail for a new extension (which currently does not work).

I am lost, so any help is appreciated.

Good test, I just ran the same test and received the same results.
I then tried to send myself a welcome email with no luck - still unsure what's going on.

Please make sure that your windows are fully up to date with windows updates and try again

Windows is up to date...

Windows is up to date.

Same issue but using Google Cloud hosting instead. Tried everything mentioned above..

Ok, I spent several hours troubleshooting. Learned a lot using openssl on the command prompt. In the mail settings screen I changed my mail server to smtp.gmail.com:25 (so I just added port number :25). Mails are now sent and received as expected. Give it a try and let us know if this works for you as well.

Ok, now I am really losing it. Mail is not sent anymore and error is back to "invalid remote certidficate". I could really use some help as this is costing me too much time now.

i have sent you a p.m.

Ok, root cause determined. I use avast mail shield and this somehow interrupts the 3CX mail server communication. Disabled Avast mail shield and set up the mail server in 3CX with smtp.gmail.com (no port #). Now works as expected. Rather obvious; I overlooked it. Solved with the help of 3CX support - Yiannish_3CX. Thx a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.