Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Easily Change Forwarding Target Number from Phone

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by rayfield, Nov 10, 2016.

Easily Change Forwarding Target Number from Phone 5 5 3votes
5/5, 3 votes

1. rayfield

rayfield New Member

In 3CX, forwarding of an extension can be enabled and disabled by the extension user, through a button programmed for that function (Forwarding On/Off).

However, the Forwarding Target Number (the number to which calls are forwarded) must be entered into 3CX through the Management Console.

In some cases, it is necessary that the Forwarding Target Number be occasionally changed.

I propose that 3CX support a dial code, whereby an extension user can enter a Forwarding Target Number for that extension 'on-the-fly'. This would allow this Forwarding Target Number to be easily changed whenever necessary, without someone having to go into the 3CX Management Console to do it.

John Rayfield, Jr.

2. Gioal

Same here.... Why this is not implemented yet? Every PBX has this feature native.

3. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I don't understand - in all 3CX clients we can customize forwarding rules, including a target number (be it extension, system extension, generic number); it's not this what we are talking about?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

It is a fairly straightforward task to build a CFD application that when dialed prompts you for the forwarding number. It could then update your extension settings.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Gioal

No, is about change the destination of your calls from your phone istead of using an app.

Hummm... can you provide any example? I am not so familiar with CFD. Any demo inside of CFD that can be followed?

6. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

Hummmm.... perhaps I should have said straightforward for us. Here is the basic code logic:

1. Get the extension number that dialed the CFD
    2. Prompt caller for phone number
    3. Verify the correct number of digits
    4. Re-request phone number if failed validation
    5. Call external code component
    6. Code component uses Call Control API to change forwarding rule
    7. Play prompt "extension successfully updated"
    8. Hang up

There are example projects that come with the CFD for how to request digits and validate, but diving into the Call Control API to update the extension would be a little beyond the scope of the forums.

You could enhance this further so that if someone called from the outside (not an extension) it could detect that and also request the extension to be updated and request the voicemail PIN for authentication. It's up to you how far you want to take this.

7. Gioal

Many thanks bro. I will try this and let you know if it works.

8. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

You can contact me directly if you need programming assistance.