ECHO

Discussion in 'Windows' started by brianp, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianp

When talking to an outside/external callers (via our SIP Provider Broadvox) they all hear their voice echo but we don't on our end (from the soft phone). We are running the latest 3CX Phone System v8 build along with the latest 3CX Assistant (8.0.11114) and Softphone (4.0.11015). We are all using logitec headsets with the softphone. We opened a ticket with Broadvox and they could not reproduce the problem. After further testing I found that if i mute the mic on the logitec headset, the external caller does not hear the echo. This intially lead me to believe the mic on the headset was picking up the callers voice from the headset earphone. So, I went in to Windows/Control Panel/Sounds and adjusted the mic sensitivity. I also lowered the volume on the headset earphones. However, the only way we can get the echo to go away is to actually mute the mic. Has anybody else experienced this?

We also hear a faint echo when calling each other internally between extensions. But for now, we are most concerned with the sound quality for our external callers.

2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Sounds like an issue with that headset since you are obviously getting acoustic echo through it. Are you using USB headsets or ones that just plug into the sound card ports? I highly recommend sticking to USB or Bluetooth headsets.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. brianp

Hi, thanks Kerry, yes, we are using USB connection with our logtic headsets. I'm willing to consider others though, does anybody have recommendations?

I'm also considering testing a real phone. Our local 3CX reseller is going to let me borrow a grandstream(sp?). We all use tunnel externally so hopefully the grandstream will work with our setup. If the granstream addresses the echo, we will definitely invest in hard phones for everybody.

4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

The Grandstream phones are the cheapest phones you can currently buy and do not offer any echo cancellation. While it may solve the problem, if it doesn't, don't be surprised.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. brianp

http: //www.3cx.com/sip-phones/linksys-SPA-962/ No longer available. New link: http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

In the link above, it looks like 3CX has the following phones below listed as preferred:

CISCO SPA 501G, 502G, 504G, 508G, 509G, 525G (Manual configuration)
    CISCO SPA 501G, 502G, 504G, 508G, 509G, 525G (Provisioned)
    Linksys 3102 ATA and Fax - T38 Fax Pass-through
    Linksys SPA 901, 921, 941, 922, 942, 962 (Manual configuration)

Any thoughts? Can these phones be configured to work over Tunnel?

6. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

Yes they can be configure and will work well over a tunnel.

Thanks,
    Mark Flores Martin
    3CX support

7. brianp

Thanks mfm. I'm looking at testing the Cisco SPA 500 series phones. I also read about using the Tunnel Proxy Manager. I assume that's what i'll need to setup the phone for tunnel.

My question: My staff does a lot of support and which requires their hands to be free during a call. What headsets work best with the Cisco phones? ...and, if we use a headset through the port/jack on the phone, will i be back to where i started with the echo problems?

8. mfm

mfm Active Member

This is not something we do not normally go into, but to be sure that you will have complete compatibility you must check with Cisco on what headsets will work well, we do not test headsets. Same with your Snom phones.

9. brianp

Okay, we've been testing the Cisco SPA525G IP Phones. They are pretty sweet. So far, we have not experienced any echo on these phones. The only issue we have run into is when dialing an external number, we don't hear the phone ring on the handset - but the status on the phone says "Ringing"...It's silient until the person on the other end of the call picks up. Again, this only happens when calling external numbers via our SIP Provider Broadvox....we can hear the ringing when calling internal extensions. Any suggestions?

Config:
    SPA525G With Latest Firmware (7.4.3)
    Used latest phone provisioning template via IIS (http://10.10.x.x/management/provisioning/$MA.xml)
    Using 3CX SIP Proxy Tunnel Service with Outbound Proxy = Yes on phone config. Hosting OS = Windows 7.
    Opened port 5080 TCP/UDP on Windows 7 Firewall that hosts the SIP Proxy Tunnel Service

10. mfm

mfm Active Member

This is a known issues with phones behind a tunnel, it has been reported and we will be expecting a fix in an upcoming build but at this point there is no ETA for it. I apologise for the inconvenience.

11. brianp

Thanks mfm. i'm looking forward to the update.

BTW: Since we upgraded to the Cisco phones our clients are saying the voice quality is awesome....they say its like we are talking to them in the same room. For those out there having voice quality problems, if you are using a cheap USB headsets (~$40-$50) with the 3cx softphone you should look into investing in an IP Phone.

12. mfm

mfm Active Member

Im happy to hear your clients are doing well with them, Cisco are good phones. Please keep an eye on the release logs to see when a fix will be released.

13. MikeNur

As you know Cisco's phones are expensive. Moreover, if you already have "cheap phones" then do not rush and replace them.

First try using a software utility to resolve echo and bad quality problems. SoliCall http://www.solicall.com offers several products in this area - some of them are offered for free. :idea:

14. DeWild1

buy a plantronics BUA-100 from ebay. ($14)
    Install http://www.plantronics.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi?type=software&path=&ID=personocall_consumer_setup.exe
    get a jawbone headset.
    3cxsoftphone with call assistant.
    Its the best.

No echo, other noise is filterd out, great sound quality, small little ear piece. Get and hang up calls from 15 feet away from desk, cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.