Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Email alert for new firmware?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by engin411, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engin411

engin411 New Member

I have been watching the Updates section of my 3CX for a number of months in case there were newer firmware versions for my batch of Yealink T46G's. It never showed anything. Now today I went to the Yealink site to check there out of suspicion that it had been far too long to not have a newer firmware, and I see that my current version is several versions behind! Even the Yealink site lists a newer version specifically noted as "supported by 3CX", but my PBX doesn't note that at all.

What gives? Why isn't my 3CX box seeing the updated firmware for the phones?

The 3CX configuration guide for the T46G says the firmware update process is go to the Phones node, choose a phone(s), and click Update Firmware. That's fine, but the phones node has no indication that a newer firmware is available either. What am I supposed to do, try this once a week as a guess?

2. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

As far as I know 3cx to get the firmware for you. Although it would be cool if there was a firmware node under the 3CX System Updates tree. I've always downloaded firmware to the server, unpacked to provisioning dir and then update the upgrade rule on each phone... and maybe I've been doing it the hard way the whole time here, but I don't think that the phone scans the directory. I've always specified the firmware file.

3. engin411

engin411 New Member

Sorry, I don't follow this.

Part of the ease of using the T46G was (supposedly) that 3CX would alert to updated firmware and I, as admin, would simply download it and push it to the phones via the Phones node. 3CX has a specific line item in the Updates section for Yealink T4x phones. But as I said in the first post, this is not working on my box.

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I do not recall 3CX indicating their intent to notify of various model firmware updates. This is not to say they didn't, but rather that I do not recall this specific aspect and question the viability of their being able to do so given the ever changing landscape of what they either do or don't support as time goes on and some users never wanting to update, some always...even to the extent of using the latest and greatest regardless of tested and supported by 3CX and others a mixture as they may be running various makes and models on the same instance.

What they did indicate was that they were going to try and ease some of the issues surrounding how firmware is normally updated by presenting a more unified appearance to the user, but accommodating the make and model nuances from behind the scenes. The intent was to eliminate the need for most non-IT types to become familiar with TFTP, HTTPS and other protocols in the hopes that they could handle the method and simply have the user highlight the model and punch the upgrade button and the magic would occur. The system would go out and retrieve the files, decompress same, and use the correct method for the specific make and model to "push" the upgrade to the phone. Some phone models such as Polycom were more difficult than others, so this was to try and overcome making folks into techs when they had no desire to be one.

I just did my T46, SPA504 an other Yealinks without issue. The firmware was retrieved, unzipped, pushed and accepted by the phones.

5. engin411

engin411 New Member

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.