Email Notification for High CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Paul Omans, Jun 21, 2017.

Email Notification for High CPU Usage 5 5 4votes
5/5, 4 votes

?

Would you like the ability to set up high CPU usage notifications in 3CX?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Paul Omans

I would like a feature built into 3CX that allows the sending of notification emails when the CPU usage is at 100% for an extended length of time, as extended high CPU usage can definitely present an issue. I ran into a problem earlier where the CPU had been at 100% for 4 straight days on one of my tenants, and it had caused the server to crash. If I had known the CPU was constantly at 100% even over the past 24 hours, I would have had more time to respond and a crash during business hours could have been avoided. There are plenty of other applications that allow resource monitoring and alerts, but when 3CX is installed on a headless Linux server it would make it easier for the end-user to configure, since the framework for email alerts is already in place in 3CX and the CPU monitoring aspect is now a built-in feature of 3CX V15.x.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Paul Omans

I haven't had any high CPU usage issues on any of my 3CX servers in a while but I am revisiting this thread to say that I am still interested in having an email notification for high CPU usage over a length of time. The length of 100% CPU usage time before an email alert is sent would have to be adjustable, at least to some degree, by the end-user; 100% CPU usage for 1 minute might not be a cause for alarm but 100% CPU usage for 15 minutes might be a reason for investigation. However, this length of time is most likely bound to be different for each end-user and each 3CX server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Paul Omans

Just an update, it seems that SNMP Monitoring is currently in consideration, so it looks like that could probably be used to monitor CPU usage, but it would still be nice if this was a built-in feature of 3CX that allowed sending a email from 3CX itself (not an SNMP monitoring tool) when CPU usage was at a set percentage for a certain amount of time.

4. Silly English Kniggit

I'd far far rather 3CX got on with putting in the monitoring we've been asking for for ages, instead of taking what little there was out. However if we're not going to get any monitoring, leaving us to hack 3CX to restore what we already had - then adding in this type of monitor might be useful. However when a server's under load, you don't want to add more to it and there's a good chance that the 3CX monitor would fail in this case anyway. I say proper monitoring (command line / SNMP / WMI etc) please.