Solved Email Server Setup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Joel Halter, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Halter

Hello i just upgraded my Free version of 3cx ver 15 to 15.5 yesterday (11/08/2017) and now i can't change any of the Setting for the email server. The Setting are all Grayed out and wont allow me to change anything.
    I have a payed license of 3cx ver.15 that i want to upgrade to 15.5 but i have to be able to get the email working. Am i missing something with licensing that wont allow me to use an external SMTP server??

Attached Files:

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

I'm guessing with the free version 3CX is forcing use of the 3CX mail server for advertising. So being able to use your own server is now a paid feature.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

That is correct, starting from V15.5 SP2, using your own SMTP server requires a commercial License Key.

4. Pejman

I want to use the free version of 3cx, that is on last version of elastix. But maile does not send with own 3cx stmp server!
    How shuld i solve this problem?!?

5. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The first you would want to try is to go to Settings --> Email and here press the "Test" button. Does this succeed? If not, what error does it show?

Pejman likes this.
  6. Pejman

it dosent show eny message when I press on Test buttom.
    I cant set SMTP Mail server Data such as Username and etc
    the "type of mail server" field is disable

Attached Files:

7. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you press the Test button you should at least see something. If success you should see something like this:
    upload_2017-11-13_16-49-45.png

If not you should see an error and that should help us understand what is happening. Not that to contact the 3CX SMTP, and outbound connection from 3CX is made to port 2528, so make sure you are not blocking that on your firewall.

Also try the following:
    1. Go to Settings --> Network, set the Public IP to Dynamic, then press OK.
    2. Restart all 3CX Services.
    3. Go back to Settings --> Network, set the Public IP to Static, then press OK again.
    4. Restart services one more time.

After doing this check if the Test button show a message.

Pejman likes this.
  8. Joel Halter

So how am i suppose to setup a 3cx Account to use the 3cx SMTP Server

Pejman likes this.
  9. bbaker73

bbaker73 New Member

Yes is there any documentation yet on using the new 3CX smtp service? I am in the middle of looking for a 3rd party SMTP service now, but this might solve that issue.

10. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

I'm not sure what documentation you need? The outbound port should be documented (and @NickD_3CX posted that). There are no fields to configure so there's nothing really to it. You select it (if paid license) or you have to use it with the free license.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pejman likes this.
  11. bbaker73

bbaker73 New Member

Sorry, I see from the images now there is no configuration options. What I was referring to was setting the reply address. As we host for multiple clients, I set the reply address to include identifier of the client system sending it. That's how I tell which client the notifications are coming from. Is this possible using 3CX SMTP server?

Pejman likes this.
  12. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

The test button will tell you all you need to know :).

The company name is taken from the registration info and is used as the from name.

NickD_3CX and Pejman like this.
  13. Joel Halter

So when i get this message that says denied, what am i suppose to do to fix it. I checked my firewall and nothing is blocking it. I see the packet leave the firewall. This was an upgraded version which was using an external SMTP before.

Attached Files:

Pejman likes this.
  14. Pejman

I do that 4step ypu say but the problem not solved,
    how can I open the port 2528? i open that in linux command but problem not solved
    sorry for my bad english , I take a video from my 3cx panel in ThisLink that may help to what is my problem.

15. bbaker73

bbaker73 New Member

Would be good to be able to change the reply address instead of just using from the company registration name. Registration name cannot be changed easily if need be. We have multiple licenses registered to us (same name).

16. Pejman

but the test button noting show me :|

17. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Well I'm assuming you did this for business reasons. So you either keep it that way and thus promote your business/brand to your customers, or you change the license registration to your customers. Or if they are paid licenses you continue with whatever you were doing before.

Nick Galea and bbaker73 like this.
  18. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

So I'm assuming that's a bug where it is trying to use the credentials you had in the first place. 3CX will need to address that.

19. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Guys - this is an inbuilt mail server offered for free by 3CX. There is nothing to configure.
    And if your firewall works like all the others in the world - As in the firewall respects the golden rule of networking that states:
    "Anything Originating from the INSIDE is Trusted to go out" Then you should have no problems whatsoever.

But if you have this paranoid setting on your box which does the opposite ie. Check everything that goes out even if it is generated from a trusted source, then you contact support and we will give you the port number you need to allow..

If it was an upgraded version, then I suggest you clear cache, go to the mail server, Apply OK there and restart the machine. Maybe some settings were left there from the previous smtp.

PBX Edition customers will be forced to use 3CX SMTP service yes.
    If you have another license, you can choose.

We will check this to see what is happening also.
    You can change nothing when working with our smtp. It is what it is and comes as is - but it does what you need - it sends emails.
    (By the way, sending emails in previous versions was one of the biggest failures that our users had. People still have trouble configuring smtp. So we solved it with our own cloud smtp service)

In the meantime we will check why in some cases the test button shows nothing. We are on it. Thanks

Nick Galea, bbaker73 and Pejman like this.
  20. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Guys also check that your license keys are PBX EDITION + VALID Maintenance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.