Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Emails not Working in 3CX 11 SP3 on Windows 2012

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by virtualnine, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtualnine

Hi All,

I upgraded a Windows 2008 R2 server to Windows 2012. I made a backup of 3CX, uninstalled 3CX and downloaded and installed 3CX SP3. I restored from backup and everything works with the exception of emails. No emails work...not for system notifications, phone provisions, missed calls, etc.

I had this same issue when testing 3CX in the fall when it was not officially supported on Windows 2012. If I roll back to a snapshot of Windows 2008 R2, everything is fine.

I am convinced the issue is with Windows 2012 and would love to help resolving the issue. My client wants to run this on Windows 2012, so I would hate to move things back to 2008 R2, but they are dependant on the "mail notification on missed call" feature.

Additionally, there are no GPOs or policies that would be causing this issue.

Thoughts?

2. DexDeadly

I haven't tried Windows 2012. Only thing I would suggest is that you double check your SMTP server is installed running.

3. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Wireshark your connection when attempting to send e-mail (keep it simple and simply send a welcome e-mail to test).

We have tested Windows 2012/3CX since RC and we do not have this issue.

Also attemtp to open a telnet IP port 25 from the 2012 server is see if you can reach it.

Please note: I assumed that you are using plain text on port 25 (usual setup) your case may be different but it is certainly not a 3CX issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. virtualnine

Hi Sigma1,

Telnet works fine from 3CX. However, I cannot do a wireshark capture because PCap won't install on Win 2012. Do you have another tool you recommend to do a capture that is compatible? I really appreciate your assistance!

Everything else works as expected, and I have verified that my license was restored during the backup. I even manually re-entered it because I know the email functionality was removed from the "Free" version in 3CX 11

5. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Is your SMTP server internal or external? (Meaning on your LAN or on the Internet)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Better yet, if you have your public IP, give me a call at 203-541-5455 and we will open one of our relays for you to test and capture if needed

7. virtualnine

Yeah, smtp is internal with no firewall in between. Also, I do have a public IP associated with the 3CX server. I just tried calling and got disconnected. I will be coming in from 919 area code. Number you posted still good?

Thanks!

8. virtualnine

Big thanks to Charles at Sigma VOIP for assistance in resolving this issue.

There are only two things I changed with my setup that corrected this issue. The though it one of the changes "triggered" 3CX to perform sending mail again as expected.

After verifiying I could telnet into my mail server, I added the SMTP server Charles provided and sent a "Welcome" email successfully. I then changed the SMTP server back to its IP address instead of FQDN. At the same time, I removed the account associated with mail authenication and everything worked! I even received notifications from a day ago regarding missed Voice Mail.

To conclude: Try changing your smtp server to IP address (or hostname or vice versa) and add/remove the user account associated with email authenication.

It is a simple fix and I can't believe this is what solved it. Stranger things have happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.