Enable Extension outside lan

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by spencer11, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer11

Hi everyone,

I have a 3cx version 9 phone system set up. I am trying to add an extension remotely. I have followed the videos about setting up the stun server with no luck. I just keep getting orange lights..and the phone system logs does not see it trying to connect. The phone system has a public ip address. Is there a check mark like version 10 where you have to enable the extension outside the lan? External extensions are v10 is so much easier...can someone please provide me directions on how to get this working..i have a cisco spa 303 phone...thank you for ur help

Spencer

2. farsight

I can only give you general direction. I was on v9 for the year or so that it was out. If you haven't moved to v10, why not?

Part one is to check the 3CX and the firewall. In 3CX, settings -> network. You may or may not be using stun but most likely you are using NAT.

Part two, start with the 3CX soft phone. Install it on a notebook inside your network. Once that is working, move to an exteranl network. If that is working then work on the phone.

You gave very little info. If you are a dealer or have a support contract, contact 3CX.

3. spencer11

I am using NAT. I have also tried enabling stun on the pbx and adding those settings to the phone with little luck..The firewall checker passed. Is stun required to get a phone to work externally with v9? I will try installing a soft phone and see if that works

4. spencer11

I was able to get a 3cx phone to work outside the network using the 3cx tunnel. I can't find anywhere in the Cisco SPA 303 to input the 3cx tunnel information. Does anyone know where to put the tunnel information?

5. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Hi Spencer,

STUN is required only for VoIP providers in 3cx, not for external extensions. You need proper port forwarding (5000, 5060, 5090, 9000 - 9049) for external extensions to register and to work, as well as for VoIP providers.

On external extensions you must configure STUN server. For SPA-303 setup follow the instructions for SPA-941 in 3cx blog. In some rare cases (router specific) you can not use STUN server.

It is not possible to configure 3cx tunnel in SPA-303 (and also other phones). You must use either 3cx softphone instead, or 3cx proxy server on machine in the same network. The other option is to use router-to-router VPN tunnel (I may recommend you a solution and help you setting it, just contact me via PM, if you like).

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. northpoint

Just out of curiousity, why haven't you upgraded to version 10? It will make your life much easier. :)

7. spencer11

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I am going to have to upgrade to version 10. I have been avoiding it because I am afraid of losing everything during the upgrade. I guess I am going to have to do it anyway. Does anyone have a tutorial I can follow..Thanks for all of your help

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are going from 9 to 10, it very easy.

Do a backup of 3CX, you should be doing these after any changes you make anyway. Do two, just to be on the safe side (slightly different names so you don't overwrite the first one), maybe to a USB stick.

Download version 10

Uninstall version 9, there is an Icon in the 3CX group (Start > programs> etc.) If you try to install version 10 without removing version 9 it will prompt you.

Run the uninstall checker (it may just do this on it's own now) to be sure all of version 9 is gone.

re-boot the PC

Install version 10, along with any addition Windows "pack" it requires, it will tell you.

During the installation it will ask if you are restoring from a previous installation, say yes and it will give you the opportunity to indicate what backup to restore.

If you have been using the Demo key, you may need to restore the current key. If you are running the free version, then you won't need to do anything else. If you have a paid version then be sure you have a valid, version 10 key ready.

That should be it. If you run into any issues that you can't overcome, be sure to have a version 9 download on hand, you can always install that and do a restore from your backup as a last resort.

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Please pay attention on following thing:
    when you will backup configuration, you need to tick the check boxes to save necessary data like Voicemails, call recordings, IVR prompts, call history etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. spencer11

Thank you for the replies Leejor and SY!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.