Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Error creating new DID numbers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Gus Mitchell, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gus Mitchell

I'm having a problem creating new DID numbers associated with an existing SIP trunk on 3CX version 8.

Using the Edit VOIP Provider page & Source ID tab, when I choose to add DID numbers (by ticking the check box associated with the new numbers) I get an error when I click OK as follows:

3CX Interface
    An exception occurred EditVoipProvider Error: ExternalLine

I've tried removing the new numbers and starting again but still get the same error.

Can anyone explain what's going wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks in anticipation

Gus

2. Gus Mitchell

Ok, deafened by the response from the Forum I restarted the server this evening.

No errors on startup (phew!) but still the same issue.

Where do I go next guys?

3. Gus Mitchell

The latest in this saga...

I think the issue is related to the 3CX database - somehow it's got itself in a muddle.

I installed a demo v10 into a VM at home and restored the backup of the production database. The problem seemed to have gone - insofar as I couldn't reproduce it. Not all services were running though - and it was difficult to properly test.

We have a spare/contingency PBX server (offline but otherwise identical to the production PBX server). Hoping that a simple restore of the data would resolve the "muddle" I restored the backup to the spare server (which is also v8) and unfortunately the problem was replicated. No progress.

I then installed a brand new instance of v8 into a new VM at work, restored the database and the problem recurred again!

Finally I installed a commercial version of v10 (Mini edition) into the VM, restored the database, removed and reinstalled 3CX again, restored the database again and finally I have all services running and the problem has not recurred. The problem I now have is that I can't truly test the system without moving it into the live environment (SIP trunks and all...). That requires some downtime. If I'm going to do that then I really need to upgrade the production system (3CX enterprise software & "better" hardware) - that requires budget and justification.

I have emailed 3CX separately to ask about the efficacy of an upgrade to v10 to resolve the problem once and for all and also ask about version upgrades and support (we are currently signed up for neither).

I did speak to a 3CX partner (who supplied the software) but they were unable to help (and key staff were on leave). I'm not convinced that the partner network would necessarily have been able to help in this instance and I think all I needed was a direct line of communication to 3CX.

I can see the benefit of partners when implementing 3CX as part of an overall voice communications "solution" but, to be honest, our needs are fairly simple (i.e. telephones that work!). What does the Forum consider the optimum support arrangement?

Gus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.