• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Error in Windows Client When Attempting to Use CTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatchlife

Reaction score
I am receiving the following error when attempting to use CTI mode in the Windows client to initiate a call from my desk phone to another internal extension:

"Error occurred whilst performing a call. Possible reasons are that you are using 3CX Phone System FREE version together with a phone that does not support CTI. Contact your administrator to activate with a valid license key and try again."

I reviewed the version comparison chart and it shows that the free version includes use of the CTI feature. I am using a Polycom SoundPoint IP450 desk phone. The phone setup page on the 3CX site states that this phone has limited CTI functionality but that I should be able to place calls using CTI. Is there something else that I'm missing here? Or is the documentation incorrect? Thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks for the reply ALuisPV! The link you provided is the page that I referenced when setting up the Polycom phone. I downloaded the necessary firmware package from the 3CX site and it was successfully applied to the phone. The Polycom phone has successfully registered with the 3CX server and is functional.

I just did a test with a Polycom VVX 410 phone and it resulted in the same error, also. The way the error reads doesn't quite make sense to me but if I had to take a guess I would say that the system is programmed to not allow the use of CTI with a free license, despite the feature comparison matrix on the 3CX website showing that the free license does allow use of the CTI feature.

Hello there,

Which version are you on? Which service pack are you on? If you are not on the latest service pack please upgrade and see if the issue persists

Hey! I appear to be running version 15.0.60903.0. I don't currently see any service pack updates available. This was a fresh 3CX server download and install that took place just a couple of days ago.

the version is the latest but are you using the PBX Edition?

Possible reasons are that you are using 3CX Phone System FREE version together

Yes, I am using the PBX edition (unless I'm missing something). The license information on the dashboard states "Activated PBX 15.0.60903.0". If this is a licensing issue then it would appear that the version comparison chart on the 3CX website is incorrect as it shows that the PBX edition includes CTI support.
http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/edition-comparison/

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Dear hatchlife,

To use CTI Mode, you must disable multiple inbound calls. Check that in “Extension settings” > “Forwarding rules” > “Available” status, the option “Accept Multiple Calls” is not enabled. Also the CTI Mode can only be used on the local LAN or behind a 3CX SBC and works only with supported phones. Unsupported phones can use the so called “MakeCall” functionality it has limitations.

Make sure the above settings on your Phone system. Also please let us know the OS of your pbx (linux or windows).

Thanks for the reply Giannos!

I have verified that the "Accept Multiple Calls" option is not selected for any of my extensions. I am using CTI mode on the local LAN and the 3CX client goes into CTI mode without any issue. I am currently using a Windows 10 workstation to run the PBX server. I have tested the CTI functionality with both a Polycom SoundPoint IP450 and a Polycom VVX 410. I realize that both models may have limited CTI functionality due to not being fully supported.

The error that I am receiving appears when I place the 3CX client in CTI mode and attempt to dial another extension that is setup in the PBX.

Can you please check if all your services are started? If they are can you try restarting the IVR service?

Reactions: hatchlife
Thanks so much Yiannis! The IVR service had not started on boot and I hadn't thought much of it. But manually starting the IVR service resolved the error that I was receiving and the CTI functionality is now working.

Glad to hear the issue is resolved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boykins_54
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.