Error installing v12RC: port 5000 in use

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jitdor, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jitdor

I've attempted to upgrade 3CX from v11 to 12RC. Followed instructions to backup database, uninstall v11, restarted machine, and launch 3CXPhoneSystem12.exe.

Before I could click "Next", an error window pops up, stating "The specified port is in use: 5000", and terminates.

I've looked at resource monitor and the results of netstat -o, and port 5000 is clearly not in use.

Please help! OS is Windows Server 2012. I have attached the install log as well.

Attached Files:

2. jitdor

OK I've identified the process that's hogging port 5000 -- it's System (PID 4).

Unfortunately there is no way for me to kill this NT Kernel process. I suspect the last uninstall of 3CX v11 didn't go cleanly (since it was the last service that uses port 5000).

Any suggestion for me to proceed from here besides reinstalling the OS?

Many thanks.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you run the 3CX "checker" to be sure that everything was uninstalled?

Once uninstalled, you could you could try a search in the registry for "3CX" if you feel (suspect) something may have been left behind.

I assume you did a system restart after the initial 3CX removal?

4. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

System PID=4 means that it is used by Windows sys process internally, this means IIS worker process is still running so yes. Netstat results should show a socket in use on port 5000 if you look carefully.
    To solve this problem go to start > run type in "inetmgr" and you will see that when you expand the tree on the left and click on application pools you will see that the 3CX application pool is still there.

Stop the 3CX application pool.
    Delete the 3cx application pool
    Check the Websites under default website node and confirm that 3cx phone system webserver node is not present. If it is you need to delete it.
    This could be caused by the 3CX uninstallation process unable to remove 3CX websites. Reasons for this can be many.

Since this was left after uninstallation, I would also check the contents of Program Files and Program Data too. Because if the installer could not remove the IIS components, it could be likely that it did not remove other parts of the installation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.