• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Error with STUN server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlabuelo

Reaction score
Good morning all

I have a problem with my 3CX Voip phone system. I used it as a cetral phone system where I connect my extensions (Using the 3CX VOIP client software tool). Everything worked fine until 3 days ago.

Since then every day at 18:00 pm (CET) I lose my external connection with my VOIP provider and then the day after I was able to get connection again. But the problem is now that since yesterday I lost my external connection, and since then I am not able to receive calls neither make them.

If I go to the Line Status section of the tool I get this status for the VOIP Lines:
Code:
10000   Line No: 881240063    

And if I check the server status I dont stop getting this error message:

Code:
13:22:14.390 StunClient::onTestTout [CM506004]: STUN request to STUN server 64.69.76.23 has timed out; used Transport: 192.168.2.10:5060

I dont know what is wrong, as I did not change anything and after talking with my VOIP provider they say that they did not do anything either and the system works as normal... it is strange that every day at 18:00 I got this problem.... but now "I dont have phone!!".

I have checked the STUN options:

Code:
Default STUN server address  stun.3cx.com Port   3478 
Default second STUN server address stun2.3cx.com  Port   3478   

Timeout time for STUN response (ms)3000  
Recheck external IP every (sec)  1200

I have asked my Internet provider to open the ports I use 5060 and 9000-9100 ( as I use the default configuration that 3CX sets after the installation).

Anybody has any ideas of what else I should check??

Thanks a lot

hi there, nice detail there in your post.
Stun servers can be subject to packet loss, hence the problem your seeing.
What you can do is google "public stun servers" and you'll get a whole list of them to use. Change the stun addresses and that should sort your problem out.
One I can remember off the top of my head is stunserver.org

I suggest you put two different stuns in place so if one goes down the other will still work.

The other option is to make you 3cx system public and you won't need stuns but it will still ask for them.

Thanks a lot for your help h2009. I have done what you suggested I have added the stun server stunserver.org and other one as secondary called stun.fwd.org both in same port 3478.

But I cant still get connection to my voip provider. I have all the ports open in my network (5060,9000-9015 and 3478), and I keep getting these errors even after restarting the server:

Code:
14:04:56.687 StunClient::onTestTout [CM506004]: STUN request to STUN server 208.73.212.12 has timed out; used Transport: 192.168.2.10:5060

This tme the IP address in the message is different... but still same prolem :(

Also if I do the Firewall test for ports 9000-9015 I get this error messages:

Port Status Description Parameters
1 9000 Error (4) The STUN server returned an ip which is not accessible from outside. addrFromSTUN = 213.60.109.15:12529
2 9000 Error (6) An incompatible NAT configuration has been detected. Please check FAQ for further information. addrFromAgent = 213.60.109.15:12545addrFromSTUN = 213.60.109.15:12529
3 9000 Warning (8) Local port is not blocked from outside. STUN server has returned global port different from the local one, but the local port is also accessible from outside.
4 9000 Warning (10) Port is open, but port number has been changed. In many cases, this will present a problem and cause one way audio or no inbound calls. See this FAQ: http://www.3cx.com/support/firewal-checker.html

anything else in your mind?? :D

Thanks again :D

hmm your stun ports I think could be wrong. I'm not at my computer, so I can't check to be sure, but I think the port you need is 3478 3479.
Have got these ports open on your router? Just double check to make sure.
Let me know how that port gets on.

Can you try to see if you forwarded the stun port also to your system? sometimes people forget that.
Also use stun.voipbuster.com as a stunserver.
How is your NAT situation? Did anything change the last weeks? did you change something in your router in terms of portforwardings?
Please read the postings about portforwarding and see if you did everything. Not the internet provider should do that for you but you should do that yourself in your router/modem.

good luck

Hi guys

Thanks for the help, I have done what you suggested and now works fine I can get incoming calls and also make my calls perfectly. but I have two problems still:

a) I dont get any call redirected to the mail voice, even I have set the rules for the extension:

Voice Mail Configuration <<

Enable voice mail Yes
Play Caller ID No
Read out date/time of message Read in 24-hour format
Pin number xxx
Email options Send email notification

Destination Unreachable / Forwarding <<

No Answer : No Answer After (seconds): 30 -->Forward to Voice Mail
Phone Busy: Send Busy Signal
Phone Unregistered: Forward to Voice Mail

I dont know what is wrong, I give a call and after some time ringing the voice mail does not appear, it just hung up. However if I set the property "Forward All Call" to Voice mail, then it works perfectly.

b) The other problem I have is the sound from my side, I mean in a call the sound from the people who calls me or I call sounds perfect, like a normal phone, but they hear me like if I was talking to them very very far away... any ideas of why this may be happening??? (I am using the 3CX Client phone)

Thanks a lot guys

Interesting thread.

I don't see any mention of opening ports 3478 and 3479 in the 3CX manual, have I missed something ?

Do I need to set the router to open these ports for UDP or TCP or both?

The reason I ask is that when I run the firewall checker, sometimes it passes and other times it gives me the error 4.
Error 4 - The STUN server returned an ip which is not accessible from outside.
I wonder if this maybe the reason for our incomming call unreliability.

Thanks
Huw

h2009 said:
hmm your stun ports I think could be wrong. I'm not at my computer, so I can't check to be sure, but I think the port you need is 3478 3479.
Have got these ports open on your router? Just double check to make sure.
Let me know how that port gets on.

3CX PBX doesn't have STUN server. So it doesn't expect port 3478 to be opened for incoming. But it has STUN client which sends requests to external STUN servers, which usually set at port 3478. So if your router doesn't disable sending to that port - it's enough.
Still, your SIP port (5060) and RTP range of ports should be mapped properly on router to have stable solution. Symmetric NAT is not supported (it may still work, but gives extremely unstable results). The error from your firewall check hints that you have symmetric NAT mapping.

Wow, I have the same problem. Thanks all. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.