Europe to Australia via 3cx

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by kargo1977, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kargo1977

Hello everybody,
    so far i have been a regular reader of this forum because i am trying to implement a 3cx voip system in our company.
    My equipment:
    router huawei 520s with static ip, connected on a 8 port switch. On that switch are: computer1 with installed 3cx voip system and 3cx soft phone, computer2 with 3cx softphone, and Linksys spa3102, as a voip gateway, connected on a switch (all of them have static ip configured). And all of that works perfectly in office.
    I also got out of the office (comp3 at my home) and was able to call comp1, and comp2, and to get out on a pstn line connected to a spa3102.
    Now my question:
    on home i have router with dynamic ip and 2 comps connected with router via switch
    my friend also have this configuration at his home
    can we talk with 3cx voip phone installed on our comps?
    I need a simple explanation how does it work (if it does).
    Does comp1 at work behave only as a registrar server and just register voip clients and manage calls which then travel over some other routes?

I would appreciate any response from you experienced people :)

Thanks

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are already using your computer at home as an extension off of the 3CX, so you know how to set it up. Your friend can set one up the same way. His/her extension has to be data filled in 3CX, just as yours was. They would just install the 3Cx softphone (or an ATA) using the extension number and password that you will supply to them. Using the outbound rules in 3Cx will allow you to restrict them to extension to extension calling only if you want to prevent them from making use of your PSTN line. The 3CX is a SIP server and an extension is a SIP client. The extensions will work anywhere in the world that you have a stable high speed internet connection that doesn't block any necessary ports. Of course the tunnel mode can help in some cases.

3. kargo1977

Thank you for your answer, it did help me to better understand 3cx system.

So, one question leads to another:

If I have 3cx installed on my comp in Europe and my friend also has his in Australia, and we both have in our networks few clients, we need to bridge our 3cx systems, so our clients could talk between each other, like they are in local, right?

And, what is the max number of simultaneous calls between our 2 bridged 3cx systems???

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I guess that would depend on what licence you've purchased (as bridging doesn't work with the free versions) and your bandwidth. If you each have 3CX running you could try registering some trunks from one as extensions on the other and vice versa. You will still be limited to 4 concurrent calls on each PBX, if using the free version without activating the demo key.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.