Excess audio volume causes distortion

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by HatchITMan, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatchITMan

Incoming audio from the Skype gateway is at such a high level that it causes distortion on the phones. I am using SPA941 phones and a Polycom Soundstation connected via an SPA3102 to the 3CX PBX. The distortion appears on both types.

Is there a solution to this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    Sure it is. Stop the gateway, then for each channel you have, choose "Configure Skype" - which will open its corresponding skype client where, in menu Tools/Options, choose Audio Settings. Uncheck "automatically adjust" for microphone and speaker, set the speakers volume to minimum, and microphone's one to your acceptable level. Click save and, after you done this for all channels, start gateway.
    Hope it helps
    Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HatchITMan

Vali,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have adjusted the Sype audio device settings, but it makes no difference. If I connect to the Skype call test service via the PBX and the gateway, the young lady that replies shows a lot of distortion at a high audio level, far higher than the levels on an internal call, even with the settings for Skype at the minimum.

I am using a single Skype channel, set as master. Skype gateway 2, 3CX version 8.0.10116.583, running on Windows 2003 SBS.

Regards,
    John

4. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, John
    In the API they provide - and our gateway uses - Skype doesn't provide a way to programatically control volume, so other solution than the one I described above isn't, unfortunately.
    However, I will suggest you to "play" a little with Windows' sound volume(s), by clicking the audio icon in the taskbar next to the clock - as far as I remember, few months ago somebody here had a similar issue and tuning this volume proved a good solution.
    Also, as a question, when gateway stopped, and you open its skype by clicking "configure skype" button, how do you hear voice when FROM SKYPE, directly, you call echo123? It is affected by tuning Skype volume? I'm asking because I don't understand why tuning skype volume desn't have effect.

Regards
    vali

5. HatchITMan

Hi Vali,

When I call echo123 using Skype on its own, the volume is adjusted by the Skype audio settings. When I use the Skype Gateway, nothing changes the received volume, neither the Skype audio settings nor the Windows volume controls.

I have re-installed the audio drives and Skype, but with no change to the audio levels.

The system I am using uses a SoundMax audio card, which requires its own drivers.

Regards,
    John

6. gregorioaldo

Hi,
    same problem on my 3cx server with Realtek HD audio card.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/interference-12576.html

Regards
    Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.