Exclude certain call types from ringing soft clients?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JonnyM, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonnyM

This is a bit of a long shot and I am aware that it seems counter-intuitive to how most people would want things to run, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway in case people have solved similar issues.

We are a company of around 25 staff, and each staff member is a member of a group that includes their entire department - this is so if someone (internal) wants to get hold of someone in accounts they can call the RingAll group and they know somebody will be sitting next to a ringing phone.

I'm gearing up to deploying 3CXPhone for iPhone in anticipation of iOS 10 CallKit support, and would really like to stop these calls to a group from ringing on their iPhones as they might be working elsewhere, in a meeting etc. From what I can see I can make a bunch of new extensions purely for softphone use but that runs counter to the idea of being able to take your extension with you, and would involve some fairly complicated configuration with extra RingAll groups for each user's two extensions, routing for direct dials etc. and isn't really a path I want to go down as it will quickly get difficult to manage.

The other option is to just tell users to set their softphones to busy or sign out the soft client if they don't want to be bothered, which sounds like the correct way to do this.

Has anyone else run into this when deploying to mobile devices, and how did you solve it?

Thanks

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Ring Group calls don't differentiate when there there is a second extension appearance (the 3CX App), or the ring my mobile feature. You could suggest this as a feature change, it might even be in there. 3cx-ideas-f57.html

Ring Group calls do NOT follow any forwarding options on the extension. That is where you may have to have to "bite the bullet" and use a different extension number for the iPhones so that they don't respond to a Ring Group call but would using the forward options. the number to be displayed, ob the iPhone extensions, could be set to display the persons "main" extension number so that callers didn't attempt to call the iPhone extension directly, unless you want that.

Others may have some additional suggestions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.