Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Expire Time

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by haywardi, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haywardi

Hi,

As you will have seen from my last post I'm new to using 3CX and so far I'm very impressed.

However, I now have a hopefully simple question about the use of the expire time.

To explain, I am converting away from an existing installation (hardware based IPPBX) and have an existing installation of IP phones.

They work really well when registered. However, at first they would drop off the PBX after 60 seconds. I then found a setting on the phones marked Expire time. I changed this to 3600 seconds (the maximum setting allowed) and they would stay connected for an hour and then they would drop off again. Checking the internet it sounds like this setting is the registration time. However, the phones don't seem to be re-registering.

Now my questions:

1. Is it the job of the device to re-register or the PBX to try and re-register?
    2. Is there a way of overriding this setting (within the PBX) as the phones are on the same lan so really speaking will never disconnect?

BTW, I have contacted the manufacturer, but so far they have been unresponsive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Iain

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The registration default for 3CX is 30 minutes. The PBX will "suggest" the time to the device but not all devices respond. If you have a device that requires a manual setting then select 1800 seconds or less. If the device does not re-register in the allotted time, 3Cx will assume that it is no longer available to receive calls.

3. haywardi

Hi

Thank for the quick response, I set it to 1800 seconds but still get the same error. 3X says its off line and the status on the handset says 'registering' rather then registered.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Iain

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you power up the device, then check the 3CX log, you should see the first registration. If the device is set up correctly. you should see another registration in 30 minutes. If you are not seeing this, and after 30 minutes 3Cx reports the extension as no longer registered, then you will need to re-confirm the settings in the device as somewhere in there is the cause of you problem. Other than telling the device to register every 1800 seconds when it first registers (and some devices ignore that), it is up to the device to "keep in touch", if it doesn't then 3CX will assume it is no longer "out there" after 30 minutes.

5. haywardi

Hi Lee,

Unfortunately that was what I feared. The server log records the registration and 30 minutes later the disconnection, but NO attempted to re-register... The phone on the other hand says its 'registering'.

I hoped there was a setting to override this function, but alas......

Thanks for your help anyway.

Iain

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

It is a device problem.

A device will always register with the provider and never the other way around. So handsets register with 3cx, 3cx registers with voip providers.

Registration is purely designed to let the provider know where to route calls as you can be anywhere in theory and also have multiple registrations or connected devices. So your device is missing the reregister part.

The reregister is suggested by your client in the registerer request in the expires header or expires value in the contact header field. The registrar (3cx) then accepts or uses a different value. If you run a wireshark you should see this value being returned in the 200 response from the pbx to the phone.

If 3cx has a default of 30 minutes then if you set the expires in your phone to 30 minutes (or maybe 29 or 31) you should in theory have no problem even if the phone doesnt conform to true sip standards.

Firstly you dont say what phones they are and what firmware state they are at. This is crucial as there may be a bug in the firmware or they may not conform to true sip standards.

Then we can run a wireshark and see what is being sent and returned in the registration. But at present the fault lies in the phones not 3cx.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.