• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Exporting ALL Extension Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadragon

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm setting up a 3CX system for 200+ users who are currently on another vendors rather dated SIP system. We're doing a slow transition from one to the other. Big bang is out of the question.

I set up an extension on 3CX the way we want new users to start. I then did a csv export of that extension and used it as a base to create a csv spreadsheet with all users to import back into 3CX. That way I don't have to manually create 200+ users. That part works fine.

Problem is, the csv export of the example extension does not contain anything from the "Forwarding Rules" section, at least not the "Statuses" portion which is really important in our set-up. Basically, when DND status is set, the call will forward to a specific ext for internal and external calls. We set up new 3CX users with the DND toggle set (which is in the export) and a forward to an already established 3CX extension. That will allow us to transition over time with no call interruption or loss.

How can I set the Forwarding Rules for 200'ish users with a csv import? Even better, how can I export the Forwarding Rules set-up for any given extension? Image shows the info I need.

Thanks.

WbTKSRV.jpg

Your options that I am aware of is to use an example template from this guide:
https://www.3cx.com/docs/bulk-extension-import/

Or export from the 3CX System under "Extensions".

If the settings you want (forwarding rules etc) are the same you can export all of your extensions in normally and then on the extensions page in 3CX multi-select the extensions (holding down the ctrl key) and then configure all extensions in multi-mode.

This would save some time.

I don't think you can achieve that using import/export. But you can create an extension list using a csv then edit multiple extensions. This allows you to change some values but not all. It may not work for you if the forwarding rules vary from one extension to another though
Yes, they are individually tailored to each user. Editing them in a csv is trivial. Mass selecting in the 3CX web browser would take forever.

eddv123, I saw that series of tags previously, thanks. I can turn off the FR tab but that's all.

Will see if I can find a workaround. Typing it in manually seems so 2006. :)

Unfortunately in the current implementation, the Forwarding Rules cannot somehow be mass imported.
The reason is rather complicated to explain, but suffice to say that it has to do with how it is coded, even if you could export to CSV, the values wouldn't be something you could tweak from a text editor easily.

Well, I did find a way, but it's kludgy. First step is to populate the extensions of all users via the csv upload method and add the 200 users names, emails, extensions, etc. I mass select the new numbers in the 3CX web console and edit Forwarding Rules to add discrete DND numbers.

Then I made a backup of the entire server. Inside that save is a ZIP file containing a XML file containing all extension forwarding rules between the tags <ForwardingRules> and </ForwardingRules> I wrote a QuickBasic program to parse that file, making note of what the current extension is and look between those tags for other tags called: <Internal DN="XXX" /> and <External>XXX</External> (Where XXX is the extension to be forwarded too)

When those tags are seen, the program then references an Excel CSV sheet I cobbled together with both the original reference extension and extension modifications then amends those numbers to what I need. It then goes through and replaces each relevant line in the XML as I want them, then saves the new line. With that done, I restore the save back to the same server and (in theory) all forwards should be what I need.

Have not done the last part yet as I need the weekend for testing to ensure it works correctly. However, the amendment program does work and I have an updated XML file ready to go.

For reference, my XML file was called 332407165Db.xml and was in the root of the save ZIP. YMMV

Reactions: Chris_
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.