Ext to Ext to mobile phone forwarding

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mricca, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mricca

This is a unique case I believe since I couldn't find any topics covering this particular issue/scenario.

When an ext A dials ext B and ext B has mobile number and forwarding enabled, the caller ID number on mobile phone shows as UNKNOWN, RESTRICTED or sometimes numbers such as "1001 or 19999"

In this particular scenario it works perfect:
    "External phone XXX-XXX-0000" calls ext A DID, ext A has mobile number and forwarding enabled, the mobile phone sees the original callers number XXX-XXX-0000.

Thank you for reading and sharing your knowledge/solution,

Michael

2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

First this is not supported by most VoIP / GSM provider.
    If supported it should be normally accomplished using '302 diversion header' (available in 'away' and 'out of office' extension profiles), if this method is supported by provider.
    Test it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. complex1

complex1 Active Member

What number do you expect to see on your mobile?
    The number of ext A?
    Like eagle2 replied to you before, I also think VoIP / GSM providers do not support this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It's not a restriction of the GSM provider, as your phone has the ability to display a callers number, that's all it needs.. It is where (what field) the CID it taken from. or, what number is available, for 3CX, to send out on the trunk to the mobile.

Try this (if you haven't), datafill the extensions number, in the extension settings, Other/Outbound Caller ID

Now, this will probably change the caller ID from that extension sent to all . You may have to put some other number (DID number?) in there, that makes sense, to satisfy all called parties.

I had an issue where using a different field fixed the problem...

http://www.3cx.com/forums/caller-id-not-being-passed-onto-mobile-40795.html

Try the first suggestion as you already have correct CID being passed from outside callers.

Before making any changes, make note of the original settings, and then test with all scenarios, as you run the risk of fixing one problem, but causing others.

5. mricca

Eagle2, Complex1, and Leejor,

Thank you for your time and prompt reply to my issue. I appreciate that.

Caller ID number forwarding is supported on my VOIP Provider.
    Extension B has Outbound Caller ID set to a 10 digit DID.

Again works perfect in this scenario:
    Landline/Cell phone calls EXT A (6001)’s DID, The phone rings and Mobile phone rings, and mobile phone shows DID number of Landline/Cell phone.

It doesn't work well when:
    Extension A (6000) dials Extension B (6001), and mobile phone of Extension B sees, UNKNOWN, RESTRICTED or sometimes numbers such as "1001 or 19999"
    I want DID (Outbound Caller ID) number of Extension A to appear on the mobile phone. So the mobile phone knows who is calling.

eagle2:
    Since the extension has “I want to be able to accept more than 1 call at the same time - uses phone status" and "Ring my extension and my mobile at the same time" enabled in the extension, I don’t think Away and Out of Office status play any role.

Complex1:
    I would like to have Caller ID number (DID) to be shown to the mobile phone.

Leejor:
    Your statement “It is where (what field) the CID it taken from. Or, what number is available, for 3CX, to send out on the trunk to the mobile.” makes seems to me, but I am not sure what field to modify to tell the trunk to use extension B’s DID and not something else.

Thank you very much, Michael Ricca

6. complex1

complex1 Active Member

This scenario won’t work, because if you enable “Ring my extension…” the incoming number ( internal or external ) is forwarded and displayed.
    That’s why the CID from an external phone call is displayed correctly and rubbish is displayed when you have been called from an internal number.
    e.g. If the call is from external phone the Caller ID XXX-XXX-0000 will be displayed, but if the call come from internal phone the extension number 6000 will be displayed and not what is setup in the “Outbound Caller ID” field of that extension.
    It will work if you setup the Forwarding Rules “Send call to my mobile number”.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Complex1...this is what mricca wants to have happen, but isn't.

mricca...did you put "6000" in the Outbound caller ID field, for that extension? This field is by default, left empty.

8. mricca

Leejor:

All the extensions in our 3CX has a unique 10 digit DID in "Other > Outbound caller ID" field.

Thanks, mricca

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

OK...did some testing (this is with 3CX Version 11). I know that my outside callers show the correct number when my mobile rings at the same time, same as yours. When I placed a call from an extension to the extension that has that option (ring my mobile at the same time), it rang the mobile and showed the originating extension number, but with a "1" in front The Outbound Caller ID Field, for the originating extension was originally blank but I tried several numbers in there, no difference. I do remember another member having issues with Bridge calls and a "1" being prefixed to the caller ID. It was assumed that it was something to do with formatting of numbers, I don't recall if it was fully resolved.

That may be what is going on here. For me, it doesn't matter and I'm not willing to spend time investigating. Suffice to say that a number, that can be recognised as an extension, is sent. It may be to do with my setting on the outbound trunk, explained in the link I posted earlier.

10. mricca

leejor,

On my latest testing, the number shown on mobile phone as caller ID number is not always the same. Sometimes restricted/unknown, sometimes it shows originator's 4 digit extension, and on one occasion, it showed a 10 digit DID with 305XXXXXXX area code, which turned out to be a non-working number. Completely weird. I would be satisfied if it showed either extension number at all time, or trunk's caller ID number. so that the mobile user could tell that the call is coming from inside company.

I have changed "From: User Part" to "OutboundCallerID Outbound caller id taken from extension..." and the issue was resolved, however, now when "External to Ext to Mobile" shows Ext Outbound caller ID on the mobile phone. This way the Mobile user can't tell who is the originator.

I don't know how to get both situations work properly.

Thanks, Michael

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I had a feeling that "playing" with these settings would cause other issues to arise.

Did you ever try, what I had to use... "OriginatorCallerID"

What I find puzzling is that there are different numbers, and sometime no number, being presented to the mobile. Are all of these calls using the same VoIP provider out of your PBX? Are the all to the same mobile?

If the answer is "yes," in both cases, then logically, the CID should be the same, each and every time.

12. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Have a look on my answer to the topic about "Originator Caller-ID" in the beginning of discussion. It contains the answer. The rest is more or less trivial 3CX settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.