extend number manipulation in outbound rules

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by info3, Sep 28, 2015.

extend number manipulation in outbound rules 5 5 2votes
5/5, 2 votes

1. info3

The possibility to strip no more than 9 digits from the dialed number is not enough sometimes; 15 or better more digits should be possible here.

E.g. when a bridge to another 3CX instance exists and a user dials a full external number of that remote site instead of using the bridge by dialing the "shortcut number" (by accident, or by using his/her non-3CX phonebook from Exchange, or ...), it would be nice to be able to override the dialed number with the internal path to the extension (to save costs, especially to foreign countries).

Mostly the remote site's external number is too long to be truncated properly by only 9 digits, so it would be helpful if more than 9 digits could be stripped. And/or if there is a stripping action like "keep the last X digits" (instead of "remove the first Y digits"), including "keep the last 0 digits" to drop the whole number and replace it with a totally different one.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I agree. In North America we use (maximum) 10 digit numbers, plus a long distance access digit at times. It would be useful to be able to replace the entire number with another.

3. info3

Additionally to more digits It would be good if we can get an additional pre-defined route "internal" in outbound rules, to keep calls internal that we don't want to go outside.
    If someone dialed our own full number, e.g. that of an collegue, by accident (e.g. by dialing from an Outlook contact), we can redirect him (after stripping our base number) to the collegue directly.

A very simliar request was suggested here already:
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/post172726.html
    I amend it here again, because this and my subject are related quite closely, and the other posting was marked as "REJECTED" already. But I can imagine that an "internal" route might be realized quite easily in outbound rules; but sorry if that duplication bothers someone.

4. marv

3CX Outbound Rules Cut off more then 9 Digits

Hi,

I just want to ask if its possible maybe to cut of more then 9 Digits in Route "Strip Digits". If i have a Number with more then 9 which i want to cut off complete it works with cutting of only 9 but in the Log the Number will Displayed wrong and much too long.

Best Regards

Marv

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Re: 3CX Outbound Rules Cut off more then 9 Digits

Agree, there should be the ability to replace an entire dialled (PSTN) number, with another.

6. marv

Re: 3CX Outbound Rules Cut off more then 9 Digits

This Change Request was just opened in another Post.

Here is the Link to the Other post with the same issue.

viewtopic.php?t=41921

7. r.towle

If 3CX was intelligent - it could look up the number against the DID's associated with the SIP trunk and then work out the cheapest cost route it self and then place the call using the internal number.....

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A solution for the internal user dialling the external DID numbers of other extensions, was provided a while ago by SY, through the use of loopback trunks. I pasted it here as it was originally posted in the partner forum, and not all members have access.

Postby SY » 25 May 2011 Wed 09:04:21,
    Technically, the trick can be implemented using loopback SIP trunk.
    1. create SIP trunk with 127.0.0.1:5060
    2. create outbound rule(s) for this trunk. They should intecept all DID numbers
    3. attach existing inbound DIDs rules to this trunk

If everything is done correctly then all outgoing calls addressed to DID numbers will go to the loop back trunk and then returned as incoming calls which will be routed by inbound DID rules.
    Stepan
    3CX Development Team

I do agree, that this could be implemented in a more elegant (less complicated) way through more "flexible" outbound rules. The fact that this method uses two SC licences, is also a reason to find a different method to achieve the same results.

Perhaps in the outbound rules drop-down menu, when selecting the trunk group to use, there could be an option such as "Use remaining digits to route to local Ext.". This would allow you to take any "outside number" that was dialled, strip off prefix digits to leave the extension number at the end, or strip all, and add an extension number.

9. Jeremy Nelson

10. Jeremy Nelson