• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Extension appears unregistered

Status
Not open for further replies.

JST

New User
Reaction score
What could be the root cause for the following log message?

Extension 1010 is unregistered, removed contact: sip:[email protected]:33357;rinstance=0-jjj62bkgnkqrohnatas9jhowprzx7pyv;ob;inst="b14f8209"

The 3CX system sits on the same subnet and this randomly happens with SIP phones from different vendors (Cisco, Yealink, Gigaset). It seems to normally happen right after making (or receiving) a call on the extension.

Is the error indicating that phone has failed to do a renewal? Oddly enough, the extension continues to show with a green status. Is it possible that the 3CX system is expecting a register renewal after completing a call and for some reason some phones are handling this differently? That said, all phones worked fine with other SIP based PBX systems.

This is a serious problem for us that needs to be resolved. As such, I really need to know if this is an issue with the phones or if it is a bug in the 3CX software.

Any suggestions?

This means that the device (next time mention what phone this is) has unregistered and the re-registration for some reason failed.
A phone should never completely UNREGISTER.

You have a registration timeout of 2 min for example.
At 1.45 sec, (15 sec before expiration) the phone should re-register.
If the phone does not do this, then after 2 min the contact is expired and removed by the server.

You have to check whats happening at client phone side.

The extension shows green - That's web site cache. So if something's wrong it will not show the realtime exact status.

You can say other pbx systems don't have this problem but this is like preaching to the deaf. It is not a pbx problem and you are looking at the wrong entity. In this scenario, the pbx is the king and the phones are the slaves. You need to go and see why the slaves are not talking to the king. By default on all supported phones, 3CX ships their configuration to register every 2 minutes so you need to see a registration from the phone. If you don't see it, you have to check the phone.

Also see if maybe some phones are acting weird and they become blacklisted. Worth to check.

I purposely didn't mention any particular phone because it seems to happen for all of our home phones. Basically, we have two office phones (Cisco 7975G and Yealink T22) and one kitchen phone (Gigaset C610 with 2 extensions).

All of them can't make phone calls from time to time. I don't think that they are completely unregistered because the message seems to come from the 3CX system. It normally also shows on the phone if they are no longer registered.

The odd thing for me is that if the phone remains "untouched" (no incoming or outgoing phone calls), it will always work. The problem seems to be triggered by making or receiving a call.

Anyhow, I hear what you are saying about the registration process and agree that the phones are responsible for registering in a timely manner. So, I will do some more monitoring over the next week and will report back the week after. I will also check on the phone(s) being blacklisted. I do remember seeing some extensions failing on authentication from time to time. Not sure how that is possible since they always register again successfully a few minutes later.

All of them can't make phone calls from time to time. I don't think that they are completely unregistered because the message seems to come from the 3CX system. It normally also shows on the phone if they are no longer registered.

The odd thing for me is that if the phone remains "untouched" (no incoming or outgoing phone calls), it will always work. The problem seems to be triggered by making or receiving a call.

This would seem to be a contradiction...
All of them can't make phone calls from time to time
The odd thing for me is that if the phone remains "untouched" (no incoming or outgoing phone calls), it will always work.

If they are untouched, how can you be sure they are working?

The 2 minute re-registration time that Nicky mentioned, is new to me. I had always thought (in the case of 3CX) it was 30 minutes, as the default, it may have changed with Ver 15. It has been adjustable in the custom parameter settings
Most devices will follow the time given to it during the first registration. The re-registration time can be set lower manually, and that time will usually be obeyed.

I have four of the C601 base station, all working for several years with no issues.
Under Settings/Telephony/Connections select an extension, then open Advanced settings
I use 1700 seconds for the Registration Refresh Time, under the 1800 that the PBX expects.

Thank you for your reply!

This would seem to be a contradiction...

If they are untouched, how can you be sure they are working?

Not really. Basically, I can do a system reboot and if there is no incoming call, I can always complete the first call without having the problem.

Hope that clarifies your question.

Yeah. It seems to be 25 minutes (default) on my installation. I have already lowered the re-registration to 20 minutes with the hope that this would eliminate my problem, but it didn't.

Under Settings/Telephony/Connections select an extension, then open Advanced settings
I use 1700 seconds for the Registration Refresh Time, under the 1800 that the PBX expects.

Yes, I have changed that value to 1500 on my C610.

While I am new to 3CX, I have used Trixbox, Elastix, FreePBX and a few other flavors in the past. I am not a VOIP professional, but I think I know the basics and some more. That's why I am really puzzled that I am having so many strange issues. Anyhow, I am sure I can sort it out over time.

If the devices are re-registering in a timely manner (in less time that the PBX actually requires), then you should be able to verify this in the Activity log.

It seems bit strange that multiple makes of devices are having the same issue. You have to ask, what do they have in common? Were they all auto configured? (I tend to do manual config on all devices unless they can't be done that way) If that is the case, there may have been an error in one of the parameters that is being sent to all devices with each configuration file. Could it be something on the network? I have seen posts of people that have almost pulled out all of their hair trying to solve an issue that was caused by a faulty switch on the network, one of the last things you'd think of because they are generally reliable, and you expect a total fail when it "goes". To pin-point a hardware problem, go down to the basics, server, a new switch, and the sets, see if this still occurs.

Last edited:
OK. I have monitored it for a week now and I have some new findings:

1. It also happens for 3CX mobile clients that have been provisioned by 3CX.
2. It seems that the issue can be resolved by doing an edit & save on the SIP trunk.
3. We have been on vacation for a few days. As expected, when we got home we would get the dreaded message that the extension is not authorized to make calls. The activity log has been empty. There is no message of whatsoever in it. I could immediately resolve the issue by executing 2.

These findings make me wonder if this is not an extension related problem, but rather a trunk problem. That said, the trunk always shows as registered and I only see an older failed message.

@leejor
Thank you for your feedback!
- At the moment, some phones are provisioned and others are setup manually.
- I don't think it is something in my network because it now also happens for 3CX mobile clients used over LTE. This would actually use a different switch than the ones used for the office desk phones.

Can someone clarify what the audio message actually means? I mean I have been wondering how the system can give me an audio message when the extension is not registered. Maybe the message is just indicating a trunk problem? I will take a look at the settings for the trunk.

Excuse me if you mentioned this and i missed it but what is the audio message you are hearing? also how many trunks do you have and are these authentication or ip based trunks?

The audio message is "The device you are using is not registered to lace calls on the network. Please contact your administrator for assistance."

I have one trunk and it is authentication based. I am using BroadVoice (US).

I now believe that this might be some kind of authentication problem for the trunk because I can consistently resolve it by editing & saving the trunk. That said, I don't see any related entries in the Activity Log. Is there are separate log for trunk messages on Debian Linux? I am suspicious that the issue has something to do with re-registering to BroadVoice. I know that BroadVoice is quite sensitive to rapid registrations (every 30 seconds?). The trunk it set to 120 seconds. I think if I could see trunk messages in a log, it might be possible to resolve the issue.

I found some log entries today!

02/27/2017 11:35:03 AM - Leg L:13.1[Extn:1020] is terminated: Cause: BYE from 192.168.1.232:5062
02/27/2017 11:34:59 AM - [CM503007]: Call(C:13): Line:10000>>18005555555 has joined, contact <sip:[email protected]:5060>
02/27/2017 11:34:59 AM - [CM503007]: Call(C:13): Extn:1020 has joined, contact <sip:[email protected]:5062>
02/27/2017 11:34:59 AM - L:13.2[Line:10000>>18005555555] has joined to L:13.1[Extn:1020]
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - [CM505003]: Provider:[Broadvoice] Device info: Device Not Identified: User Agent not matched; Capabilities:[reinvite, replaces, able-no-sdp, recvonly] UserAgent: [] PBX contact: [sip:[email protected]:5060]
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - [CM503002]: Call(C:13): Alerting Line:10000>>18005555555 by contact <sip:[email protected]:5060>
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - [CM503025]: Call(C:13): Calling T:Line:10000>>18005555555@[Dev:sip:[email protected]:5060] for L:13.1[Extn:1020]
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - [CM503027]: Call(C:13): From: Extn:1020 ("Name" <sip:[email protected]:5060>) to T:Line:10000>>18005555555@[Dev:sip:[email protected]:5060]
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - [CM503004]: Call(C:13): Route 1: from L:13.1[Extn:1020] to T:Line:10000>>18005555555@[Dev:sip:[email protected]:5060]
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - Line limit check: Current # of calls for line Lc:10000(@broadvoice[<sip:[email protected]:5060>]) is 0; limit is 2
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - Call(C:13): Call from Extn:1020 to 18005555555 matches outbound rule 'domain.org'
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - [Flow] Call(C:13): has built target endpoint: Out#:>>Rule{straten.org}>>18005555555 for call from L:13.1[Extn:1020]
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - [Flow] Target endpoint for 18005555555 is Out#:>>Rule{straten.org}>>18005555555
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - [CM503010]: Call(C:13): Making route(s) from Extn:1020 to <sip:[email protected]:5060>
02/27/2017 11:34:58 AM - [CM505001]: Endpoint Extn:1020: Device info: Device Not Identified: User Agent not matched; Capabilities:[reinvite, replaces, able-no-sdp, recvonly] UserAgent: [Yealink SIP-T22P 7.73.0.60] PBX contact: [sip:[email protected]:5060]

On a first look, I see a provider message claiming that the user agent isn't matched, but it is not clear if that is an error message or just a status message. The call got terminated after getting the audio message shown in my previous message.

I think the provider message is an error message.It also said the the device is not identified, a problem with authentication and registration maybe?

The message you are getting probably originates from the provider as 3CX does not have a prompt like that. If i were you i would run a wireshark capture once the issue appears and try to make a call. You can then see where the audio stream is coming from and who terminated the call

The message is coming from the provider. I have confirmed that the audio stream comes from the provider. It plays twice and then the call gets terminated. The log above shows me hanging up after hearing the message.

Now, how can I fix it? It seems that BroadVoice is on 3CX's supported provider list. I also know from previous experiences that BroadVoice doesn't like fast re-registrations (e.g. less than 30 seconds). I can also confirm that the problem always happens after making (or receiving) a call.

Looking at the audio message it appears as if BroadVoice lost my registration. I am guessing that could happen when BroadVoice was expecting a quicker renewal time.

Is there a log detailing trunk activity? I am using the Debian version of 3CX.

I will first try to re-create the trunk using the provider template. Maybe there has been an update?

Today, I found the following in the event log:
Call or Registration to xxxxxxxxxx@(Ln.10000@Broadvoice) has failed. xxx.yyy.156.180 replied: 403 Forbidden; from IP:xxx.yyy.156.180:5060

Once this happens, I can no longer make calls until either way the trunk re-registers or I manually edit & save the trunk (immediate re-register).

@patrick
I missed your reply yesterday. Thank you for your feedback! I agree. Just don't understand why it would work inconsistently. I mean if it is an authentication problem, I would expect it to fail on the first registration.

Hi JST,

Have you tried using another provider to confirm where the possible fault lies, there is plenty out there that provide free services to a certain extent?

Regards

Yes, I do have a second test installation on our corporate VMware environment. That one is using a different provider. It doesn't get much usage yet, but I don't see any issues similar to the one in my home environment so far.

I would like to clarify that the provider used on the other test system is not on your provider list. However, BroadVoice is. That said, your template is defaulting to IP based authentication whereas I am using user based authentication. Maybe something else is wrong with the trunk configuration? Outbound configuration?

I will try to call BroadVoice, but their support is very limited when it comes to issues with 3rd party PBX systems. It also works without fail on Elastix and FreePBX.

I guess I could try to use the other provider in my home environment.

Hi JST,

You can use the generic setup and confirm if the fault stays or goes away with your other provider.

Regards,

I have applied some configuration changes as outlined below. These changes have somewhat reduced the problem, but I found that the problem happens again as soon as my wife makes a call when I have just completed a call. So, it still isn't a real solution.

Here is what I have changed:
- Populated "Outbound Proxy" with the same value used for "Registrar/Server/Gateway Hostname or IP". The 3CX template leaves this field blank.
- On the Outbound Parameters tab, I have changed the value for "Contact: Host Part" from "Contact URI, usually, contact of content field" to "Leave default value".

I am guessing that the root cause for my issue is that the 3CX template for BroadVoice is made for an IP based account where as my account is authentication based. It seems that newer accounts are indeed IP based, but my account is quite old. In fact, I am using a different portal to see my account information.

Based on my latest findings, I am guessing that my issue is caused by 3CX sending a user extension to BroadVoice. I found some other forum postings that seem to indicate that this is causing my problems. Sadly, it is not clear to me which setting in the 3CX configuration I need to change to send my auth id (phone number) instead of the user extension. I mean I know the setting is most likely on the outbound tab, but all trials have resulted in the provider not working at all...

Any suggestions for me based on this new discovery?

Last edited:
Hello @JST

First of all 3CX PBX will never send an extension number to the Provider unless that extension number is set as outbound call ID under extension settings.
Regarding the template if that is the case and your account is auth. based i would recommend not using the template and setting up the trunk as generic. Update to SP5 and recreate the trunk. Let us know how that goes

Just to give an update.

I have tried the suggestion to use the generic trunk and to update to SP5, but that didn't resolve the problem.

Based on my current log findings shared above, it appears that Broad Voice is receiving incorrect register strings from time to time. Since it initially works and since the issue also resolves itself within the re-registration period (~2 minutes), I am not sure what's causing it.

I will try to follow up with Broad Voice on this once more this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boykins_54
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.