Extension number lengths

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by gary2seven, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary2seven

I am doing the initial setup of my 3CX, current on free version but will purchase enterprise next month.

I wanted to use 4 digit extension numbers for my virtual extensions, but the setup tells me I can only use 3 digits. I've seen forum questions about 2 and 4 digit extensions so I know it's possible but can't find a setting to change.

Is this a restriction of the free version, or is tehre a setting somewhere?

Can I mix 3 and 4 digit extensions?

Gary.

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Keep in mind that after you change your PBX to a 4 Digit PBX you will have to change numbers like 999 / 700 / 888. And Create new 4 Digit Extensions.
    You will be able to keep your old 3 Digit Extensions in case you want to revert back, or you can just delete them.

Here's where you can find the Option to Change to 4 Digit. I just need to mention that it is recommended to Uninstall and Re-Install the PBX when making Changes to the Extension Length Number. But you can use the Advanced parameter as well with no problem.

Attached Files:

• Pci.jpg
      Pci.jpg
      File size:
      125.8 KB
      Views:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gary2seven

Leonidas,

If I change to 4 digits do all extension need to be 4 digits or can I use some 3 and some 4?

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can use both.

You can call 999 from Extension 1000 for example or call Ext 105 from Ext 1005.
    It's like a mixed PBX :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gary2seven

Both work for calls, but I can't now amend any details on the 3 digit extensions. EG change voicemail settings it reports "The extension number length is 4". :cry:

Gary.

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

What exactly are you trying to edit on those extensions?
    You can make them into 4 Digit extensions by editing them but cant edit them to be 3 Digit extensions.

The whole idea is this:

Add 10 extensions as a 3 Digit PBX (100-110) edit them as you like and leave them there.
    Then add another 10 extensions as a 4 Digit PBX (1000-1010). These will be editable as long as your PBX is active as 4Digit.

From here you can switch between a 3Digit and 4Digit PBX from the "Custom Parameters" section whenever you feel like editing something.
    Understand?

7. voipbaennjer

Isn't it confusing having diferent extension lengths?

8. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I have always used a mixed length on other systems purely for organizational purposes.

Generally, user extensions are 3 digits

But for internal things (which 3CX does some of this already) I would use 4 digit extensions
    Ring Groups / Call Queues / IVR's / Bridges / etc

A ring group or a call queue would be a the group type, department number, and group number

a sales ring group might be 2101 (2 = ring group, 1 = sales, 01 = group number)
    a sales queue might be 3101 (3 = queue, 1 = sales, 01 = group number)

Yes, I could usually do this with 3 digit extensions as well but I like keeping internal numbers as separate from user extensions as possible.

9. gary2seven

That's exactly what I want to do, we have two incoming numbers (other than DID), One of those is going to a DR and the other to a Queue during office hours and different DR out of office hours.

I wanted all these to be 4 digits, Initially I did not grasp that I can switch back and forth between the setting for 3 and 4 digits so that I could configure this. Now I have that options setup is coming together nicely.

Thanks to all.

Gary.

10. saguaro

This still valid on Version 12?

11. epingel

I attempted on one of my v12 servers...

I was able to change the ENL to "3" from "4"... I was able to add a 3 digit extension... however, I was unable to change the ENL from "3" back to "4". I was receiving an error the "extension length is 3"

This was on a semi-deployed system with 4 digit extensions already in use.

Glad I had a backup ;)

12. engin411

engin411 New Member

Seems to me that since this is a database and a software-based PBX, that 3CX could allow for extension length changes and make the necessary changes to the db with a "find and replace" operation.
    But I'm sure it's way more involved than this too.

13. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

One possible approach is to use 4-digit extensions and SIP aliases with various lengths (into extension settings).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.