• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Extension number lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary2seven

Reaction score
I am doing the initial setup of my 3CX, current on free version but will purchase enterprise next month.

I wanted to use 4 digit extension numbers for my virtual extensions, but the setup tells me I can only use 3 digits. I've seen forum questions about 2 and 4 digit extensions so I know it's possible but can't find a setting to change.

Is this a restriction of the free version, or is tehre a setting somewhere?

Can I mix 3 and 4 digit extensions?

Gary.

Keep in mind that after you change your PBX to a 4 Digit PBX you will have to change numbers like 999 / 700 / 888. And Create new 4 Digit Extensions.
You will be able to keep your old 3 Digit Extensions in case you want to revert back, or you can just delete them.

Here's where you can find the Option to Change to 4 Digit. I just need to mention that it is recommended to Uninstall and Re-Install the PBX when making Changes to the Extension Length Number. But you can use the Advanced parameter as well with no problem.

Attachments

• Pci.jpg
    Pci.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 5,362
LeonidasG said:
Keep in mind that after you change your PBX to a 4 Digit PBX you will have to change numbers like 999 / 700 / 888. And Create new 4 Digit Extensions.
You will be able to keep your old 3 Digit Extensions in case you want to revert back, or you can just delete them.

Here's where you can find the Option to Change to 4 Digit. I just need to mention that it is recommended to Uninstall and Re-Install the PBX when making Changes to the Extension Length Number. But you can use the Advanced parameter as well with no problem.

Leonidas,

If I change to 4 digits do all extension need to be 4 digits or can I use some 3 and some 4?

You can use both.

You can call 999 from Extension 1000 for example or call Ext 105 from Ext 1005.
It's like a mixed PBX :p

LeonidasG said:
You can use both.

You can call 999 from Extension 1000 for example or call Ext 105 from Ext 1005.
It's like a mixed PBX :p

Both work for calls, but I can't now amend any details on the 3 digit extensions. EG change voicemail settings it reports "The extension number length is 4". :cry:

Gary.

What exactly are you trying to edit on those extensions?
You can make them into 4 Digit extensions by editing them but cant edit them to be 3 Digit extensions.

The whole idea is this:

Add 10 extensions as a 3 Digit PBX (100-110) edit them as you like and leave them there.
Then add another 10 extensions as a 4 Digit PBX (1000-1010). These will be editable as long as your PBX is active as 4Digit.

From here you can switch between a 3Digit and 4Digit PBX from the "Custom Parameters" section whenever you feel like editing something.
Understand?

Isn't it confusing having diferent extension lengths?

I have always used a mixed length on other systems purely for organizational purposes.

Generally, user extensions are 3 digits

But for internal things (which 3CX does some of this already) I would use 4 digit extensions
Ring Groups / Call Queues / IVR's / Bridges / etc

A ring group or a call queue would be a the group type, department number, and group number

a sales ring group might be 2101 (2 = ring group, 1 = sales, 01 = group number)
a sales queue might be 3101 (3 = queue, 1 = sales, 01 = group number)

Yes, I could usually do this with 3 digit extensions as well but I like keeping internal numbers as separate from user extensions as possible.

KerryG said:
I have always used a mixed length on other systems purely for organizational purposes.

Generally, user extensions are 3 digits

But for internal things (which 3CX does some of this already) I would use 4 digit extensions
Ring Groups / Call Queues / IVR's / Bridges / etc

A ring group or a call queue would be a the group type, department number, and group number

a sales ring group might be 2101 (2 = ring group, 1 = sales, 01 = group number)
a sales queue might be 3101 (3 = queue, 1 = sales, 01 = group number)

Yes, I could usually do this with 3 digit extensions as well but I like keeping internal numbers as separate from user extensions as possible.

That's exactly what I want to do, we have two incoming numbers (other than DID), One of those is going to a DR and the other to a Queue during office hours and different DR out of office hours.

I wanted all these to be 4 digits, Initially I did not grasp that I can switch back and forth between the setting for 3 and 4 digits so that I could configure this. Now I have that options setup is coming together nicely.

Thanks to all.

Gary.

This still valid on Version 12?

saguaro said:
This still valid on Version 12?

I attempted on one of my v12 servers...

I was able to change the ENL to "3" from "4"... I was able to add a 3 digit extension... however, I was unable to change the ENL from "3" back to "4". I was receiving an error the "extension length is 3"

This was on a semi-deployed system with 4 digit extensions already in use.

Glad I had a backup ;)

Seems to me that since this is a database and a software-based PBX, that 3CX could allow for extension length changes and make the necessary changes to the db with a "find and replace" operation.
But I'm sure it's way more involved than this too.

One possible approach is to use 4-digit extensions and SIP aliases with various lengths (into extension settings).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.