extension on LAN side

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tdy, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdy

tdy

Hello,
    Iam using 3CX 9.0 and have a extension that is on a Polycom IP330. Problem is it is on the LAN 192.168 side of network and after placing a call it gets unregistered. I have other Polycoms that are on the WAN side and have no problems. Is there somthing i can configure to allow phone to be used on the 192.168 side of network?

Thanks,
    Troy

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

LAN side (internal), generally a fixed IP, and No STUN.

WAN side (external), generally DHCP, and set to use STUN. If a number of sets are behind the same external router, then be sure that each phone uses a unique port number.

3. tdy

tdy

Ok. But, can i have the 3CX server on fixed external WAN IP and a IP phone on internal LAN IP ?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What IP (public or private) is 3CX using? In other words, do sets/devices register to a private or public IP? If your sets that have a 192.168.xx.xx ip (private) are registering with a public IP that your 3CX is using, then the sets are actually using a different public IP (that of the router they are behind). In that case you should enable STUN on the set so that when it registers 3CX will know the public IP and its port. And if you have more than one set, be sure each one has a different port number, 5060, 5061, 5062, etc.

5. tdy

tdy

3CX is on a public IP.

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Why? Cant you put it on an internal IP? Putting a pc on an external ip is asking for trouble. You only have windows firewall to protect you and depending on the OS that can be hacked in a few minutes - but even if they dont hack it and you have EVERY unused port locked down you will still be subject to DOS attacks.

I would recommend you reconfigure the network and bring everything inside a high quality firewall that (preferably) allows 1 to 1 NAT.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. tdy

tdy

I originally had all phones and 3CX server on the 192.168, but phones would not stay registered after a couple of incoming calls.
    And i have a Grandstream analog phone gateway that has to be on the public IP. Putting everything on the external (WAN) was the only way i could get the whole system to work for making incoming and outgoing calls. This has been the 1 and only phone system i have setup, so iam sure i have missed something. Anyhelp on being able to move server and phones to internal IP?

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What model is this that has to be on a public IP?

You are best off, not only for security sake but also for simplicity to have everything behind your router.

9. tdy

tdy

Its a GXW-4008.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is it not set up in a similar manner to the 4004? http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/Grandstream-GXW4024.html

11. tdy

tdy

I Know i tried this when i first setup everything a few months ago, but now that i have a little more understanding of this stuff
    i think i will try putting everything on the internal (LAN) again.

I'll have to make some time and shutdown the phone system, maybe in a day or so.... Then i will probaly fill up this forum with dum questions. :)
    Thanks,
    Troy

12. abc123

abc123 Active Member

The only dumb question is the one that isnt asked :)

I am usually around on the forum on Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays so will keep an eye out for any problems you have.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. tdy

tdy

That is MUCH appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    Troy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.