• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Extensions Constantly Registering and Unregistering ID:4101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Shin

Reaction score
This has been an on-going issue that is clogging up the event log.
Every couple minutes or so, we will have extensions unregister and re-register. Please see attached

I am using Debian 8 version 15.5.0( I have read this issue is still prevalent in Debian 9).

It is installed in an ESXi VM Version 11. The host's NTP servers are both local and 1.ca.pool.ntp.org.
3CX's NTP server is 1.ca.pool.ntp.org.

I have tried both enabling and disabling the VM's "Synchronize guest time with host"

I am not sure if it is an NTP setting that is causing this issue but I have seen it resolve some other similar thread posts.

Attachments

• 3cx event log.PNG
    3cx event log.PNG
    40.7 KB · Views: 65
I would disable synchronize guest time with host and make sure ntp is installed in Debian.

NTP is installed in debian and I have disabled "Synchronize guest time with host" in the VM settings.

However, extensions are still registering and unregistering constantly and randomly.

Reactions: Lee Cramman
What makes you thing this is a time issue? Looking at the screenshot and seeing the public IP's makes me think it's more of a firewall issue.

Hello @Edward Shin

Do you also get system extensions un-registering? As a first step i would recommend upgrading to Debian 9 as Debian 8 is no longer supported and the latest service packs are designed to work with Debian 9. Not sure it will resolve the issue but it will prevent any future compatibility issues and it will give you a correct base to start troubleshooting.

Reactions: Lee Cramman
What makes you thing this is a time issue? Looking at the screenshot and seeing the public IP's makes me think it's more of a firewall issue.
Just a hunch for NTP based on other threads. It could very well be a firewall issue, any idea what could be causing it though?

Hello @Edward Shin

Do you also get system extensions un-registering? As a first step i would recommend upgrading to Debian 9 as Debian 8 is no longer supported and the latest service packs are designed to work with Debian 9. Not sure it will resolve the issue but it will prevent any future compatibility issues and it will give you a correct base to start troubleshooting.
What do you mean by system extensions? We have office extensions in the 100s, and then client and speakers above that.
Where can I find the changes that Debian 9 has. I would need to make sure that it would be a smooth update as the last time 3cx updated we no longer had audio on all our speakers.

What do you mean by system extensions? We have office extensions in the 100s, and then client and speakers above that.
System extensions are extensions that the system uses like cal parking or the echo test. System extensions are also Queues and Digital receptionists.

Where can I find the changes that Debian 9 has. I would need to make sure that it would be a smooth update as the last time 3cx updated we no longer had audio on all our speakers.
Debian 9 is an OS upgrade so any differences with Debian 8 can be found on Debian sites. The PBX has no differences but it was designed and tested on Debian 9

After looking at it a bit more I do believe it is a firewall issue although not too sure what is causing it.
If you look at the attached image:

Ext. 104 says to contact 127.0.0.1 - which is an employee's phone and says to contact our PRTG's web access
Ext. 621 says to contact 76.70.177.62 - which is a speaker and says to contact the cellular modem it is attached to
Ext. 524 says to contact 174.90.166.215 - which is a speaker and says to contact the cellular modem it is attached to

So on and so forth.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Attachments

• 3cx event log1.PNG
    3cx event log1.PNG
    39.8 KB · Views: 28
Step one, does it pass the firewall test.

No that's good. You don't want SIP ALG. Next step is to define your setup. Where is your PBX and how is extension 548 connecting to it?

No that's good. You don't want SIP ALG. Next step is to define your setup. Where is your PBX and how is extension 548 connecting to it?
The PBX is on the cloud, hosted by RingOffice.
Extension 524 is a loud speaker connected to a cellular modem. The cellular modem connects to our VoiP server which handles the registration and provisioning.

I am new to this company and have no previous experience working with VoiP so thank you for the patience. Apologies beforehand if something doesn't make sense

I am having a similar issue on my google cloud pbx. I went as far as disabling the firewall with no resolution.

System extensions are extensions that the system uses like cal parking or the echo test. System extensions are also Queues and Digital receptionists.

Debian 9 is an OS upgrade so any differences with Debian 8 can be found on Debian sites. The PBX has no differences but it was designed and tested on Debian 9

It does not appear to be happening to system extensions.

Anyone have any ideas?

So for the speaker, what firewall is between between the cellular modem and the speaker? And is an IP speaker or is there an ATA or what? Also, are you actually having any PBX issues or is your concern just log spam?

The cellular modem has a built in firewall with the rules needed for that site, please see attached as an example.
The speaker is an IP speaker, no ATA is involved in the setup.
No PBX issues, although an extension has never un-registered while it was in use.
Log spam is very annoying and am desperate to clear it up

Attachments

• Firewall example.png
    Firewall example.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 27
The cellular modem has a built in firewall with the rules needed for that site, please see attached as an example.
The speaker is an IP speaker, no ATA is involved in the setup.
No PBX issues, although an extension has never un-registered while it was in use.
Log spam is very annoying and am desperate to clear it up

Are those port ranges that can't quite be seen on the right 9000 to 10999 or 9000-10000? There was a change in the number of RTP ports required in the upgrade from 14 to 15 and I wonder if both your firewalls (PBX and your cellular modem) have had exactly the same change of port range following the upgrade. For example, if your PBX was on 9000-10999 and your cellular modem 9000-10000 (or vice versa) you would potentially have some problems.

For info / security, a lot of those ports you have open only require "UDP" rather than "Both" under Protocol. Details here:

https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/firewall-router-configuration/#h.tv64ako3hpg9

It might be worth removing all firewall rules that relate to 3CX, create new ones and ensure that both firewalls RTP ports marry up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.