• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Extensions registered on Multiple FXS/DECT in same LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanF

Silver Partner
Intermediate Cert.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

We have a client who has a large warehouse/office. We have installed 3cx v15(recently upgraded to 15.5) on a offsite windows VM. They have both yealink desk phones and cordless W52P. When purchasing the phones they did not buy yealink repeaters but rather too many base stations.

Seeing as the warehouse/office is so large and they have no repeaters for cordless. They have placed 3 base stations, one each side of the office and one in the middle. These 3 base stations have the same 5 extensions registered to them. When the employee moves from one side of the building to the other, they pair the cordless to the nearest base. However this setup has been giving endless issues. It seems every 9 days all the base stations go down and they need to be rebooted. They are all provisioned via Direct SIP. I logged into each base via browser and noticed that the extension was showing registered at only one base the other 2 were either 'failed' or 'registering'. So Base1(registered) Base2(registering) Base3(register failed).

Is it not possible to register an extension in multiple places in the same LAN? I know externally it works as we have this setup for some clients.

Any help will be appreciated and if you need any more info please let me know

Probably not exactly what you are asking for but these base stations are not designed for roaming so you are probably wasting a lot time since you are trying to do something what is not designed to be working this way and I doubt it will ever run well.

For your case have a look at the Snom M700 base stations. They allow multi cell setup with the only requirement that each of them "can see" the next base station for roaming to be working.
So imagine you have a 80 meter corridor and you place 3 base stations there, number 1 at one end, number 2 in the middle and number 3 at the other end then you need to make sure 1 and 2 can see each other and 2 and 3. This will allow a seamless handover of the call between the bases when someone is walking along the corridor.
Same applies to other building structures of course, too.

To be fair - The Snom M700 are far more expensive than the W52P but looks like they are your best bet.

Probably not exactly what you are asking for but these base stations are not designed for roaming so you are probably wasting a lot time since you are trying to do something what is not designed to be working this way and I doubt it will ever run well.

For your case have a look at the Snom M700 base stations. They allow multi cell setup with the only requirement that each of them "can see" the next base station for roaming to be working.
So imagine you have a 80 meter corridor and you place 3 base stations there, number 1 at one end, number 2 in the middle and number 3 at the other end then you need to make sure 1 and 2 can see each other and 2 and 3. This will allow a seamless handover of the call between the bases when someone is walking along the corridor.
Same applies to other building structures of course, too.

To be fair - The Snom M700 are far more expensive than the W52P but looks like they are your best bet.

Hi SECOIT GmbH

Thanks for the reply. I have never used the SNOM M700 but will definitely look into it for when we sell cordless phones to our next customer. Unfortunately they are not in the position financially to replace the phones at this moment else we would give them the wireless repeaters.

Would just like to know if it is possible to register at more than one place. Else we will just need to put the base station in a central location and get rid of the other 2. The customer has no problem manually switching the base station on the cordless phone.

Kind Regards

Ryan

It appears you are trying to achieve a mult-cell solution with single-cell equipment.
You really need to look at Snom for this and specifically M700 base units and M25 or similar handsets.
Yes they cost a lot more money but is the right solution for the job described.
We have deployed 100+ handsets with many base units in Spitalfield Market in London and it works a treat.

It appears you are trying to achieve a mult-cell solution with single-cell equipment.
You really need to look at Snom for this and specifically M700 base units and M25 or similar handsets.
Yes they cost a lot more money but is the right solution for the job described.
We have deployed 100+ handsets with many base units in Spitalfield Market in London and it works a treat.

I understand this. It is not the best setup. However all i want to know before taking that step of replacing all phones. Is can an extension be registered at more than one location on the same LAN? If it can then I need to look into why it is failing registering on the other 2 bases. If it cant then we can try move them to a multi-cell solution or just register all extensions on one base.

Kind Regards

Well, to answer the original question of the OP, yes its doable BUT:
  • Each DECT station must be configured to use a different SIP Port (e.g. 5065, 5066, 5067)
  • Each DECT station must be configured to use a different range for RTP Ports, prefer 20 ports each (e.g. 14000-14019, 14020-14039, 14040-14059)
  • Static LAN IPs for all base stations on the remote site
  • On the remote location firewall, do port forwarding for all of the above ports to their corresponding base station.
  • On the remote location firewall, disable in sort of SIP ALG and/or Source Port Remapping feature.

Once you do the above I think you will not have any more issues.

At this point you may be wondering why it works for X days before not working again. I can't be sure, but in other cases where I have seen this, that is SIP ALG to thank which works for some time before stopping.

I will however agree with everyone else, what you really want is a DECT device capable of roaming...

Reactions: jed
I haven't come across any VoIP devices that will register to more than one host/server at a time. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just very rare if they do.

Well, to answer the original question of the OP, yes its doable BUT:
  • Each DECT station must be configured to use a different SIP Port (e.g. 5065, 5066, 5067)
  • Each DECT station must be configured to use a different range for RTP Ports, prefer 20 ports each (e.g. 14000-14019, 14020-14039, 14040-14059)
  • Static LAN IPs for all base stations on the remote site
  • On the remote location firewall, do port forwarding for all of the above ports to their corresponding base station.
  • On the remote location firewall, disable in sort of SIP ALG and/or Source Port Remapping feature.

Once you do the above I think you will not have any more issues.

At this point you may be wondering why it works for X days before not working again. I can't be sure, but in other cases where I have seen this, that is SIP ALG to thank which works for some time before stopping.

I will however agree with everyone else, what you really want is a DECT device capable of roaming...

Hi NickD

Thanks so much for the reply. I will try this setup and hopefully it will work!

I agree as much as everyone else that they need a wireless repeater for yealink so they can roam. However as stated the customer is not financially able to upgrade all the phones at this moment. However I will try get them to do this as soon as they are able. Glad to have a workaround in the meantime.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leowong
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.