Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Extention and Outbound Rules

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nthomthom, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nthomthom

So I have set up my pbx with three digit extensions and everything seems to work fine. The problem I am having is that both 411 and 911 are three digits. If a caller enters the extension number as 411 or 911, well its calls it. Does anyone know of which settings i should tweak so that 911 calls dont get called as an extension?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Most users will keep extension numbers in the lower range. 1XX, 2XX, 3XX, etc. If you are planing on having so many extensions that you need to use the 4XX up to the 9XX range, then you more than likely will use an access digit for outside calls. I would rethink the use of and X11 as an extension number if you do not use an access digit as most markets in North America make use of all but 111 and perhaps 211.

3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

You can either specify outbound rule which will intercept such kind of number (and place it at the top of the list) or to modify existing outbound rules to accept only specific length of the dialed number

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nthomthom

Well the problem isnt that i have extensions that are 411/911. The problem is if a person who is calling dials 411 or 911 during the digital receptionist option's it is treated as an extension (rather, an outbound rule/call) so the caller gets transferred to 411 or 911. I would like the pbx to ignore a callers request for 911 or 411 and to only work for people who are calling it within the pbx network (internal).

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It is strange that 3CX should even complete a call to an outbound (I'm assuming you have 911,411, 311 etc. as outbound rules) rule, from a DR call.

DR "selections" (direct dialled by a caller) should only be actual (internal), valid, extensions. To allow callers to reach anything other than an extension, or a outside number forwarded via an extension, is dangerous.

If this behaviour, is in fact happening, it may be an overlooked "bug".

6. nthomthom

they are set up as outbound rules. I'm not sure if there's a setting im overlooking that would correct this. I have yet to figure out why 3 digit outbound rules are being treated as an extension. This would NOT be the case if i had chosen something other than three digit extensions for the pbx (411 and 911 happen to be three digits as well).

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

In v10 SP3, IVR implements strict check of the numbers dialed from DR menu.
    In any case, outbound rules should be configured to filter dialed numbers by length.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. nthomthom

What do you mean by this... If i filter it by length it assumes 911 (three digits just like a normal extension #) is an extension and then it treats it as an outbound rule.

9. MichaelB

MichaelB Member
    3CX Support

Hi, are you using V10SP3?
    Thanks

10. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

v10 SP3 resolves this issue completely. IVR does not try to dial number which is not local for PBX.

For versions prior to v10 SP3:
    to resolve this ambiguity (outbound rule accepts 3 digits numbers and extension numbers are also 3 digits), you need to set following options of the outbound rule:
    Calls from extension(s)
    Calls from extension group
    It will block access to 911 from DRs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.