Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

External Aastra phone through tunnel

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by garyjduk, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garyjduk

I am trying to setup an Aastra 6730i phone as an external extension through the 3cx Tunnel but getting no service. I have setup the 3CX softphone with no problems but cannot get it connected with the hardphone.

Does anyone know what the follow settings should be (internal/external & ports). Both sides of the tunnel have static IP's and are there any other settings within the Aastra phone that need changed? The 3CX PBX has all default values (5090 etc.)

Proxy Server
    Proxy Port
    Backup Proxy Server
    Backup Proxy Port
    Outbound Proxy Server
    Outbound Proxy Port
    Registrar Server
    Registrar Port
    Backup Registrar Server
    Backup Registrar Port
    Registration Period
    Conference Server URI

Many thanks.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You won't be able to get the phone working using the a tunnel without running the Proxy Manager on a PC at the remote end.
    Here is a link to all the info. http://wiki.3cx.com/documentation/networking/sip-proxy-manager

3. comresource

comresource Member

If you look at the bottom of the link provided by leejor you will see Aastras do not work with the Proxy Manager.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mhanson

mhanson New Member

Aastras as a remote phone are the BANE of my existence :p

They will not work with the tunnel, and are hit and miss as direct IP to IP registrations.

Sadly there is no work around on this.

Cisco/Linksys/snom phones will do the job however.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. garyjduk

OK many thanks - I did think that it couldn't be this difficult to setup!

6. laynis

Hi,
    I'm currently trying to get several SPA962 to connect through tunneling (no Proxy if possible).
    Have you been able to get one connecting directly through tunneling ?

Thanks
    Michael

7. mhanson

mhanson New Member

Indeed. I have a unit on my desk that I test with. I have used the SIP proxy manager.

However, with Linksys SPA models, you can go directly through public IPs and have a working unit with no issues (Depending on your networking)

I have a SPA 942 on my desk that is registered to an external 3CX server I use for testing.

8. garyjduk

After a bit more playing round with this external Aastra I have it connected using the external public IP address using port 5060 forwarded to the PBX and everything seems fine. I've strengthened the authentication password and will probably use it this way whilst I test transferring/forking etc.

9. jflick

I am trying to configure an Aastra 57i as a remote extension and interested in your configuration. Are you using a STUN server or direct IP to IP? Port 5060 is forwarded on 3CX system side. Did you need to forward any ports on remote extension side? What config params were required on the Aastra phone? Thanks.
    P.S. I should also say that I had this configured so that the remote Aastra would register and could place calls. However, the phone was not able to receive a call. Does not ring.

10. mfm

mfm Active Member

You can set up an Aastra as an external extension without the need of any port forwarding as long as no firewalls are blocking it out,the default port if you do have a firewall is 5060 for sip and 3000 for RTP, again this differs according to the configuration of your device.

11. jflick

This did not work for me. Placed phone in DMZ so no firewall issues and ports being passed straight thru.
    However, rural DSL provider that I believes introduces NAT between my 3CX system on a public IP and my remote phone.
    I simulated a remote extension in a test environment and got that to work. However, in my live environment phone would not even register.

12. mfm

mfm Active Member

What I would recommend you try and do is grab the voip phone and set it up not using tunnel, if that still fails, then the problem is not with the phone but the connection between you and the PBX.

Also try run a wireshark capture to see if the request is even arriving at the PBX, if all seems to fail try setting it up at another location or stick to tunnel mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.