External bell/light notification

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by aguzman, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aguzman

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem. I couldn't find anything relating to this so here it goes. Is there a way to hookup an external device, such as an alarm bell, to the 3CX system for a certain extension? The situation I'm in is as follows...
    I have 1 user who works on the plant floor (which is extremely noisy) and when he gets a phone call he cant hear it ringing because the phone is in his office. I want to install some kind of notification system that lets him know he is getting a call while on the floor. When his in the office everything is fine because he can hear the SNOM 320 phone ringing. Does anyone know of anything supported by 3CX that can manage this or is it more of a SNOM support question? It would be great to have a bell or maybe a flashing light system. Any help would be very appreciated. :)

-Adam

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Adding a loud bell to an ATA that was programmed with the same number as the IP phone would do it. Both would register, in parallel and the ATA would provide ringing current to operate a device, bell, light, relay, that a regular phone line would operate. You could drive a relay, with a capacitor in series (ring generator is about 90 volts AC), that could operate just about anything.

3. Discovery Technology

You could also try a ceiling-mounted VoIP intercom like the following from Cyberdata:

http://www.cyberdata.net/products/voip/voip-speaker.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. aguzman

Thanks alot for this. I will check it out. My client was interested in a PA system as well and from the looks of this, it just might work. :)

5. aguzman

Do you have a diagram of this kind of setup? Im not sure exactly what your talking about. :(

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Since the main phone is a VoIP phone there is no provision for ring generator to operate another device. So... you can use an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) that is programmed with the same extension number as the VoIP phone. Both would register with the 3CX and both would ring on an incoming call. With the the ATA you now have tip and ring to provide 90 VAC ring generator to operate an external device like a relay or loud bell, or strobe light. These sorts of devices are generally sold for the hard of hearing or use noisy locations but will only work on a PSTN phone line, that's why you need the ATA. If you do a search for circuits on the web there are may examples to drive a relay, many quite simple, that will work with the ATA.

Just doing a quick search came across this example of a kit you can buy. I'm sure that there are many others available. http://www.apogeekits.com/telephone_ring_detector.htm

Or something like this...http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2473654

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.