Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

External Extension without VPN or Proxy Tunnel

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by myk3, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myk3

Hi there,

I have been using 3CX for some time now and I can only get 2 methods of remote extensions to work:

1. Connect using a Proxy Tunnel which is installed on a server of PC in the remote location.
    2. Create a Site to Site VPN from the 2 locations.

Please can anyone advise a way that I can connect a remote extension without having the overhead or point of failure of the proxy tunnel or a VPN?

This will be great to offer clients who work from home and we will not have to support a Proxy Tunnel on a PC which in some cases plays up.

Thanks,

Mike

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Remote extension do work without the Tunnel or VPN, but, there are a number of variable involved, some of which can cause you grief.

1. The router/firewall at the 3CX end...are all of the ports open?

2. The firewall or router at the far end, I've found that in most instances, you don't need to do anything, but, some routers do not work properly with SIP.

3. The remote device you are trying to use, Some SIP devices were designed to only work on the same local LAN as the PBX. A good way to tell is that they have no provision to use STUN.

4. Your settings at both ends.

The first step, if all else fails to get the remote set working, is to take it out from behind he remote router, let it pick up a public IP and see if it will register. If you post a bit more information about what type of SIP phone you are trying to register then we can probably give you some assistance. Read the 3CX logs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.