External Extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bell, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bell

I'm trying to setup two external extensions. When I plug the devices in only the first one registers, I can only get the other one to register if I unplug the first one.
    Also when I try to set the provisioning method its greyed out so I cant select anything ("phone provisioning" tab, then "select provisioning method")
    I have set the external IP and the FQDN under the Network, FQDN and STUN server tabs.

2. Charles_3CX

Charles_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi Nick, Which version of 3CX Phone System are you using? Also check the IP Address of the phones make sure that they are not trying to use the same address.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

It is likely a NAT issue with the routers. I assume you are using a current version of 3CX and that the router where the system resides has all port forwarding set correctly and that the extensions are set to be used outside the local LAN. You should also have SIP ALG turned off on both routers.

If you have a fixed IP at 3CX, then STUN is not necessarily needed. The router at the remote side is likely not able to keep the traffic straight. By this I mean that the phones are sending to 3CX and 3CX is responding, but the router is failing to get the responses back to their respecting destinations.

It might help to know what the router make and model is as well as the devices you are trying to use should the above hints not help.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Be sure that you haven't assigned the same local port to each device (5060?). When multiple devices are behind the same remote router, each must have a unique port number unless you are using the 3CX SBC. Any more than a couple of extensions, without the SBC may cause issues, depending on the particular router you are using.

5. bell

It started working by itself somehow, possibly after V14 upgrade, not sure.

I have narrowed down the greyed out remote extension to just for the phone I'm using, if I choose something else besides Yealink W52P then I get the option.

If I don't set this then for some reason my outgoing calls only last exactly 31 seconds and then get cut.

All seams to be good now though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.