External ip phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by befree, May 31, 2007.

1. befree

Hi,

I'm using a server with 3cx installed. The phones connected into the LAn works fine. I have an external ip phone which is registered to 3cx successfully. When I try to make a call I can hear but on the other side don't hear me.

Here is the log with errors:

from 'server:0/MediaServer':No RTP packets were received on 0000000A@:remoteAddr=89.119.xxx.xx:16470,extAddr=0.0.0.0:0,localAddr=192.168.14.195:9000

Is there anyone can help in that please?

Bye

Robin

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any fire walls the traffic goes through?

Also change the extension to bind to a media server. That can help.

3. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

It seems Media Server can not resolve external IP address. Check your NAT/firewall to translate 900x ports range to and from outside.

4. befree

Hi,
    thanks for helping me.

I've opened the udp ports on the Server Side. At home I use a simple router Netgear which doesn't have any outside closed ports.

Media server is enable. Should I make a port forwarding 9000-9003 to the Ip phone?

Thanks

Robin

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nope,

But every firewall/router in your network that services that phone must have the 9000 - 9003 open.

Question,

Your IP phone is external, have you configured this phone as an extension?

If so you need to open the UDP ports 7000 - 7500 as mentioned in the general settings.

6. dekatech

What type of phone is the external phone? Is the external phone capable of accepting a STUN setting? If so, make sure you set the STUN server for proper resolving.

Travis

7. jualgozo

Open Ports

Is necesary openned the ports 7000-7500 and 9000 - 9003 in both routers? I have all port oppened tha show in general setting in the router that is near to Server 3CX Phones System, but in the external extension (WAN) only the port 5060. Thanks

8. befree

Hi,
    the phone is a Linksys spa 942. It has an extension, and I call dial calls and ringing. But no audio at all. The ports are opened at both side right now. I mean the port "out".
    Still won't work.

9. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Incoming external UDP packets to port 900x should be routed to PC that runs 3CX PBX. Otherwise you can not receive incoming audio.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

These ports only need to be open if you have an extension that is external to your network. 3cx uses these ports for extension to extension dialing. (I believe)

Ok, now try the codecs, make sure that your phone has G711 enabled.
    Baby steps baby steps and we get there.

I assume that your phone is on the same network segement as the 3cx box? If not and you still do not get the sound through than it is for sure the NAT and follow what Dekatech and archie said, setup your stun config.

After you enabled the ports on your routers (all the edge devices require to have the ports open if you want to do duplex initiation) reboot the routers.

11. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

It is NOT necessary, if external extension is marked as external in 3CX settings for that extension. In this case external extension will be connected to 900x ports range, provided that it is BOUND to Media Server. Otherwise, direct RTP connection to UNBOUND endpoints is attempted.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Now you telling me :). Thanks for clearing that up :).

13. befree

Hi,
    I'm sorry I didn't reply soon but been out for working.
    Ok I will make a port forwarding for those ports and I will let you know soon as possible.

Regards

Robin

14. dekatech

I had this same issue...search through posts and you will find several lengthy discussions.

It all came down to my external phone on an external network. To resolve the issue I had to use a phone capable of having a STUN setting. This resolved the issue for me.

Travis

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello Travis,

I've been strugling for quite some time in getting a Linksys SPA942 to function in a remote network as a remote extension successfully. Can you tell me how you got your remote extension to become fully functional.

I.E. Firewall settings on the 3cx & External Extension side, STUN server settings on 3CX and External Extension side, etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian
    http://www.jaydien.com

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Guys,

Especially bfleishman and travis.

I noticed based upon your posts that you guys are getting into some interesting scenarios and configurations, I just wish the world was smaller than it already is so we could catch up for a coffee or something.

Nick is willing to set up a webcast or something like that, I think we should all jump on that to get some sort of common ground on what we can and wanna do.

Understanding that there might be some scenarios that you want to keep the cards close to you chest as it might be the "golden" egg regarding your market segment, but be honest I am in AU, some are in USA, Germany to name a few. So the chance that we will be in each other market place is slim, appart from that this is just a "hobby" for me so it is easy for me to say.

So lets get onto this webcast and become "edge" partners how does that sound.

Just a thought.

Now, someone needs to document all these funny configs so we as "edge" partners can tap into that. Would it be something we should add to a support manual for partners or should it be on a webpage somewhere for everybody to see??????

PS:

Edge partner, I see that as someone or organisation where you edge with. For example I am AU and bfleishman is in USA. He has a customer wanting to use 3cx to link his/her office in AU. Without help in AU that might be harder to sell. So bfleishman sells him a USA copy and I sell them a AU copy of the software. Something like that

Any way, just a thought. I am a bit networking now LOL. But hey, united we stand, by ourself we are just a bunch of blockes with computers LOL.

So forgive me if I am doing a bit bla bla bla but I think it is getting to that stage.......

Food for thought.

17. dekatech

Hi Brian,

That phone should have a STUN setting.

When you set the extension in 3CX mark it as external and bind it to the media server.

Use the external ip address of the 3CX server to set to the external sip phone (Note some residential IP service in the states may block your sip port(s)

Set your 3CX STUN server setting (what ever STUN server you want to use. ) I use the 3CX server.

Set your phone to use the same STUN server.

Firewall/NAT issues depends on the firewall. HW or SW. If hardware I would suggest a 1-1 or static NAT. (Translating your external IP address to the internal IP address that hosts your 3cx server. For the ports or settings....as long as you follow the 3CX manual it should work. (This could be a whole manual in itself!!!)

The key piece for me was the phone. It HAD to be capable of resolving STUN without it, it would not work.

Let me know what type of firewall you are using. If SW I would suggest configuring your hardware and 3CX disable the SW/FW and give it a try... If it works follow the 3cx manual.

Hope it helps some. I spent many hours on this issue....

Travis