External Paging With Existing Analog Equipment

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nplummer, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nplummer

We are in the initial stages of replacing a customer's existing phone system with a new 3CX system. During our system discovery we found an existing 6 speaker Bogen paging system. There are 6 analog speakers and one 100watt amplifier connected to the existing phone system.

I have personally setup ring groups and external SIP paging systems but this will be our first attempt at connecting existing analog paging equipment to the system. We have seen examples of systems utilizing the Snom PA1 to connect to paging speakers and we are wondering if this would be the best method of connecting to the existing amplifier and speakers. We would like to continue using the existing paging infrastructure (wiring, etc...) and are hoping to simply run a cable to connect the gateweay device between the 3CX box and the existing amplifier.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Nepal Plummer
    Fahillion Technologies

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

In my opinion. the PA1 is an excellent choice. Far less expensive than some of the other endpoint paging devices and far more elegant than trying to take a headset or speaker output of a phone. I am currently using the PA1 on Bogen equipment, but in my case the amplifiers are built into the speakers. As an added bonus, the PA1 can also be used as a ringer (look at the SNOM site in the knowledge base).

3. netswork

netswork Active Member

I am doing a similar install right now. We are using the Valcom Vip-201 Paging server to do this. It has one set of analog outputs as well as will work with the valcom IP paging speakers down the road if they wanted to add more speakers. For paging we always use the valcom products, they are very solid.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

I've not worked with Paging, but have worked with Door entry systems that have been supported off the PBX we were replacing.

I note that you are working with an existing paging system, and therefore, probably don't want to replace it if at all possible ...

The first thing to determine is if you need an analogue FXO or FXS gateway. If your paging system was interfaced to the previous system on an analogue trunk line port, you need FXO (O as in central Office). If it was supported as an extension, you need an FXS interface on the gateway.

Once that has been determined, you can choose the appropriate hardware and go ...

I'm a great fan of Patton gateways for these applications, as they are pretty straight-forward to configure, and very reliable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AndresH

I was (am) on the same situation.

I replaced our old PBX with 3CX and have a Bogen system.
    The Bogen was connected to the old PBX system .
    I got a Patton 4112 (FXO) and configured as an extension, It works. The problem I'm having now is that after the first page the status of the line on the Patton goes to "DOWN" and we cannot page anymore until I reset the FXO, this could be an error on the configuration (used the 3cx template)
    In short words, if the Bogen was wired to the old PBX, you neen an FXO and configure it as an extension (Then dial extension, punch Bogen codes and page)

6. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

I've used SPA 112 ATA with all my installs that have any analog needs, ie paging, faxing, analong phones etc... I've had no problems at all, and they are really inexpensive.

7. AndresH

The SPA 112 is an FXS , for the Bogen system most likely you will need an FXS (If you know of a cheap good unit let me know)

8. AndresH

I don't know how to edit my posts.

On my previous post I ment to say " Most likely the Bogen system needs an FXO..."

My apologies for the typo

9. Eric

According to me PA1 is the best option,it can be used as a ringer also but it is quiet expensive.There are also some non expensive devices,you can use them.

10. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

PA 112 is a FXS, if your coming off the system converting the SIP trunk to analog that is what you will need is FXS. Bogen's ATA's I"ve used in the past with hosted solutions and they are about three times the cost of the cisco SPA 112, without any advantages.

11. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Does the paging system have the facility to connect a simple audio line in input, removing the telephone adapter part of the system.

If so you could simply put an install of 3cx phone onto the PBX sever with an audio cable from the server sound card to the paging system. 3cx phone auto answers on the paging function fine.

12. metheridge

I like what Paul is thinking. Here is another idea I know Raspberry Pi 2 will support windows 10 so if thats the case you could install
    3cx for windows on it under windows 10, then stream the audio from it to and amp or what ever. All you need is a network connection to the PI or even wireless since the PI supports a wireless dongle. Any body ....thoughts?

13. metheridge

When I say stream I mean via a audio out cable or hdmi.

14. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Just spend the money on a PA1. it will be worth it.

15. metheridge

That only supports one speaker right , I need 4.

16. gbardissi

I have run into too many bad pa1 situations ...take a look at the algo sip paging adapter....it's a winner

17. craigreilly

3 positives on the PA1 using Multicast paging.

18. craigreilly

If you need 4 zones - no. It is one output.
    But I have had 2 speakers hooked up with a Paging Horn Power supply... Some support 1,2,4,etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.