External Phones with No VPN

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jantoney, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jantoney

Hi everyone!
    I have a linksys SPA962 phone and would like to be able to take it home, plug it in to my network at home and use it as an extension.
    Can you please advise what i need to be able to do this.
    I know you can use a VPN link between the two sites but i would prefer to be able to just plug the phone in... so would a solution that involves port forwarding work?

If this is not possible by a linksys SPA962 phone but it is by another please let me know what phone...

And last thing is what does linksys need to do inorder to beable to get it working like i said above...
    Is it just adding a built in VPN client into the phone?

thanks

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Yes, you can do this. You just need to open the correct ports as per the manual.

The 3CX tunnel feature, available in 5.1 due out in a weeks time, also works with hardare phones, i.e you can tunnel the traffic via the tunnel and still use the hardware phone.

3. jantoney

Hi Nick (or who ever replys!)

sorry there were a few open ended questions in there and a yes you can do that really confused me :p

Is that a yes you can do that with a VPN or with-out a VPN?

thanks

4. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

No problem :) You can do that without a VPN - you will be able to use a 3CX Tunnel out in beta next week....

5. jantoney

Hey Nick,

Another quick question!
    How does the TUNNEL work? because it is a simple port forward/opening in the router/firewall or do we need some certian functionatly in the hardware phones?

If we do need this functionatly can you please advise on what we need so i can get Linksys to (hopefully) impliment it before the next firmware upgrade for the SPA962 due out in a few weeks or so..

thanks
    jay

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi Jan,

Nothing required on Linksys in regards to the tunnel! That should work right out of the box.

We are very interested in a closer relationship with Linksys by the way - the only known issue we face right now is in regards to Linksys is BLF. Do you think they could address this? This is a frequent complaint of other users. Our analysis is that Linksys BLF is not according to standard, but we are very interested to discuss this and see how we can work with them on this.

7. jantoney

Hey Nick,

-- its JAY btw.. --
    ill forgive you!.. haha

anyway thats good to know about the tunnel!
    as far as linksys goes.. for eveyone's information Linksys is going to release a new firmware version soon to include the BLF features in (at leats) the SPA962 phones...

I will keep the fourm posted!