Solved External Ringer

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Philip Darnell, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philip Darnell

Philip Darnell New Member

Hi
    I have a phone that needs an external Ringer, they already have an analogue bell connected from an old ISDN phone system so I want to reuse that. I have done this before by using a Cisco SPA112 and it worked perfectly using the quick setup, this was using a PBX on the premise so was local to the SPA112.

I am trying to set it up using a hosted PBX and I can't get it to connect, do you have any ideas? I have entered the FQDN & extensions user ID and password into the quick setup.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Setting up one of the Cisco SPA ATA's should be pretty straight forward, if you are familiar with SIP. Is the device on the same LAN as the server? If so, have you tried using the servers IP rather than the FQDN? Might be a DNS issue.

Check the 3CX Activity Log to see if a registration attempt is getting through, only to be rejected for some reason.

3. Philip Darnell

I found it very simple to setup when the server and device were on the same LAN, I just used the quick setup, entered the local IP Address, ID and password.

When using a remote device it doesn't register, I can't see anything in the activity log to say there has been an attempted register request.

I have attached the screenshot from the device, can you see anything that could be wrong?

Attached Files:

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It could very well be in the network settings. Are you using DHCP, or did you give it a static IP?

One way of confirming the ATA's ability to communicate "outside", is to datafill an NTP server (set up the time-zone correctly) and see if the device updates to the correct time. Did you try using the servers public IP in place of the FQDN?

5. Philip Darnell

It's setup with a static IP Address, I haven't set any port forwarding to the device on the router, do you think this is needed?

Yes I tried the public IP Address aswell as the FQDN

I will try that now, thanks.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You may not need to do port forwarding depending on how many other SIP devices are on the local network. However, that won't prevent registration messages from getting through to the server, but would prevent a reply. You'd still see a log at the 3CX end. When you set the static IP, you did put in proper DNS server information, correct? Using the public IP would by-pass the DNS server requirement and you should see a registration attempt, unless something else on the network is blocking it.

7. Philip Darnell

There are 20 phones on the same LAN as the device.

I have set the DNS to 8.8.8.8

Where would I see the registration attempts on the server? I have whitelisted the remote devices WAN address so I won't see it being blacklisted after a certain amount of failed attempts.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Look in the 3CX Activity Log. As you have 20 phones currently, I assume you are using an SBC? If that is the case, then you will register through it.

9. Philip Darnell

They're setup as STUN so no SBC, I can't see anything in the activity log showing any failed registrations, so it must not be getting to the server.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If they are using STUN, then each device should have a unique (local) port number. Be sure that another device isn't already using 5060. Even that should not prevent 3CX from seeing a registration attempt.

11. Philip Darnell

Hi, yes they all have a unique SIP Port the devices start at 5065 and increment by 1.

Looking at the screenshot I attached can you see anything that looks wrong on it?

12. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Which version PBX are you running? And are you trying to register the ATA device as a normal extension onto the PBX?

13. Philip Darnell

Hi

I'm running V15.5 on a linux hosted server.

I'm trying to register it as a normal extension.

14. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Have you un-checked the option "Disallow use of extension outside the LAN" ?

15. Philip Darnell

Yes this is unchecked. I have a yealink 27g working on that extension remotely.

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The fact that the Activity log is not even showing a registration attempt would suggest that...

A. Something is blocking the attempt, which would not explain how all of the other devices are able to register..or
    B. A registration attempt is not being directed to the correct "location" for some reason.

Did you ever try datafilling an NTP server, to confirm internet connectivity on the device?

17. Philip Darnell

The server is hosted on an OVH server so I don't have control of the firewall infront of it, but had no issue provisioning any of the remote phones, so don't think it will be because of that. I also tried registering it to my test 3CX system which is hosted at our office (remote from the device) which didn't work either.

By datafilling an NTP server, do you mean setting the timezone to automatic and entering an NTP server such as
    uk.pool.ntp.org and seeing if it gets the correct time? I tried this and it did get the time.

18. complex1

complex1 Active Member

Why don't you use "Auth ID" and set "Use Auth ID" to "yes" in the "Subscriber Information" part?
    If I set this to "no" in my SPA3102, the device will never register to the PBX.

Hope this will help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You aren't using a port other than 5060 at the server end are you? If so, you will have to specify the port after the server information ...server.3cx.co.uk:5061

As I recall... when using the 3102 FXO port, you have to use the Auth ID as it is a trunk, but a line doesn't require it.

Did you ever try connecting from a different location..taking it home one night and trying it from there?

Yes, if the device picks up the correct time, then it confirms you are connected to the 'net.

#19 leejor, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  20. Philip Darnell

Hi Complex

I have tried that but still no luck, I have attached a screenshot, do you mean like that?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.