• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Extreme disappointment with lack of HTTP API

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuao3

Customer
Reaction score
I hope that a manager of some sort reads this post.

Last night I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to v15 from v11. I was pleased with everything until I clicked on a phone number in my CRM and my phone didn't ring with the usual "Make Call" on the display. I did some searching and lo and behold, it turns out that the HTTP API was dropped a few versions ago.

My first thought was, "That can't be right. HTTP APIs are what every major platform implements to make application integration easier." A bunch more googling and I felt a pit in the bottom of my stomach ball up. OMG, what a HORRIBLE situation. I read HUNDREDS of posts of people complaining that their CRM was broken now, or that they refused to upgrade to the newer versions of 3CX because of this. I can't say I blame them. The decision to not only stop developing a more robust HTTP API, but to drop it altogether... mind boggling. I can't even imagine how many clients you've lost because of this.

I implore you, please bring it back. No, do better than that! Bring it back and then make it even better. Heck, why not even flip the script and do something AMAZING--optionally post the keypresses at each IVR (along with the CID, DID, and current IVR extension number) to a URL of our choosing, and let the response of that post dictate what happens with the caller next... Holy cow, could you only imagine what kind of functionality that would create? Most people wouldn't even need the Voice Application Designer if you'd just do that one simple thing! I bet your developers could knock out an upgrade like this in half a day--another week for beta testing. Then boom, you've just released the next killer feature.

Anyhow, please bring back the HTTP API. Pretty please. (and think about my idea above)

Thanks.

Josh

Hi Josh,

Unfortunately the HTTP API was deprecated because of security reasons. If you need it back, you can use the 3CX Call Control API (https://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/call-control-api/) from the server to expose an HTTP API to your client machines. This is, create a .NET process that runs on the server and makes calls using the 3CX Call Control API, and receive the call requests from a socket. It should be pretty easy to do, in fact I think some users have already done it.

Also, please suggest that 3CX brings the feature back in the 3CX Ideas site, if it gets enough votes 3CX will definitively consider it:
https://www.3cx.com/ideas

Kind regards.

Hello Ernesto.

I understand your response. Dropping an immensely popular feature instead of implementing security protocols seems like a very interesting business decision. I will definitely add my suggestion to the 3CX Ideas site.

Regarding the .NET process that runs on the server--my issue is that I was told that I could run 3CX on Windows 10 without a problem, so that's where I spent my investment. I understand that IIS can run on Windows 10, but I guess I'm worried about overtaxing my OS. And, as a non-.NET developer, implementing your solution means I need invest in a development environment that allows me to develop the app. Perhaps 3CX would be so kind as to create a simple .NET package that is ready for deployment that exposes the most commonly requested functions (the most popular of which seems to be Make Call). That would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Josh

As a workaround, have you considered sending the "make call" directly to the phone? It would be pretty easy with Yealink phones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.