Fail-over questions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by schut, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schut

We're considering a 3CX Fail-over in our office but reading about it a couple of questions arise on what is needed:

* I see you need a "full" additional license for the backup/fail-over server. Can this license contain less concurrent calls? e.g. Main server has 64 simultaneous calls, can the backup have "only" 32?

* The backup runs on another IP, I reckon you need special phones which have a fail-over system for automatically connecting to the secondary server with a different IP, or do you need to provision the phones (again) ?

* How do gateways handle an IP-change?

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello there,
    You only need one Enterprise License for failover and it will be used for both installations as the config can only be active-passive.

To use failover you must have an internal DNS you can handle and specify this upon installation. You must configure the PBX to use split DNS so internally the FQDN must resolve on your local IP of the PBX. Once the failover starts the DNS entry will be re-writen to point to the new IP.

Gateways are not supported for failover, you can only use SIP providers.

Read through the following article as it contains more information regarding how failover works
    http://www.3cx.com/docs/failover/

3. Sopock

Sopock Member

Little outside of my scope, but in edition comparison I see there is Inbuilt Fail Over also in Pro edition?:confused:
    • Upgrade 1 license from Standard/Pro to Enterprise
    • Use 2 Pro

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Failover works with pro too but there is a high possibility to reach the mac activation limit on the license.
    Enterprise license is designed for failover.
    and you still only need one license with pro.

5. Sopock

Sopock Member

Thanks, but there is again confusion with edition compare table?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. npereira@cbnco.com

hmmm.... im also looking at this for a 256 Enterprise license.

you just made me aware that the failover does not work for Gateways? Im not sure I agree with this unless there is soemthing im missing, but if the gateways register to the 3CX using the DNS name instead of IP, as soon as the DNS updates the gateway should re-registering to the new system.

7. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

If your gateways can register using the hostname then in theory this might work. this is not something we tested however and cannot guarantee this will work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.