Failed to initialise SIP Engine

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dipeshmehta, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dipeshmehta

Hello all,

I have been using 3CX Phone System with 3CX Phones. At one of 3CX Phone, I am not able to connect the PBX, receiving error "Failed to initialise SIP engine".

Please help me getting it connected.

Dipesh

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    Is your phone configured to use a specific SIP port, let's say 5070? You may check this in Connection/Advanced settings.
    This error usually happens when phone is configured to use a specific port and this one is already in use by another application.
    Which phone version do you have, as displayed in About?
    On which OS is the phone running?

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dipeshmehta

Thanks for immediate reply.

I have been using 3CX Phone Ver. 4.0.10858.0 on Windows Vista. The phone is configured to use default ports. (local as well as PBX)

Dipesh

4. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Dipesh
    I could advice you to try the latest version of 3CXphone, but I'm interested in this issue. From what you describe, the only reason remaining seems to be the local interface (connection/Advanced Settings/Interface) - is that a valid one? I don't know Vista very well, but I remember we had at one time a reported case when no ports could be allocated on a specified interface (one created by Vista). Try 127.0.0.1 to see if you get the same error.
    Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dipeshmehta

Thanks Vali,

Well, the local interface as you mentioned is a valid one. Similarly, using 127.0.0.1 interface the same error occurs.

Now, I tried to change 'local port' from default checked [ ] any to some other port number such as 15070.... and the phone initialized properly. I checked firewall for any blocking of port 5070, but couldn't find anything there.

Anyways, now my phone works properly. Thanks for your continuous support rendered. If you want me to investigate anything else regarding the issue, please do not hesitate to do so. I shall be glad for the same, if by any means we could improve our experience with 3CX phone system.

Thanks once again.

Dipesh

6. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Dipesh

You may try the following - it might be useful also for you in case you will encounter this issue in the future, including for other applications:
    - set 3CXPhone to use that port which fails.
    - in a command prompt, type "netstat -ano" - it will list all taken ports alongside applications using them
    - search for that port and, once you find it, look at the PID (process identifier)
    - open a task manager - and check that option "show processes for all users"; if the PID column is not visible, select it from menu.
    - click on the PID column to order applications by this parameter and search for the one you found it to see which application is using it.

This information might be useful not only for 3CXPhone, but for the other application - the one which use the same port - also. Why: supposing the phone will start first, the other will fail - and maybe you don't know why.

Regards
    vali

7. dipeshmehta

Thanks for guidance.

btw, ipconfig /all do not display any information about ports being used

Dipesh

8. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Sorry, my mistake, yesterday I've edited my post several times and I didnt observed. It's "netstat -ano" for ports.

9. dipeshmehta

Thanks a lot.

I was unaware about netstat available in windows too. This would help me a lot for other applications and management.

Dipesh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.