Failover 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by xserius, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xserius

Hi,

I am new to 3CX and we want to use this for a project.
    Now i have a short question about the failover function and found the document about it.

I understand how it all works except i have 1 question about a part of the configuration.

1. We install 2 times the 3CX and install for example on server 1 (Active server) 3CX and put the license in here.
    Do we need to install a license for server 2 as well?

2. Do the IP Phones need to support 3CX provisioning for this to work? as seen in step 1 in this document where you need to setup some provisioning things.
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/failover/

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
    Christian

2. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi Christian,

It depends what your question related to, standard fail-over or the Enterprise licence.

I will say first that I have successfully tried both methods and in my view the Enterprise licence is the way to go if you want to get fail-over rolled out properly and with ease of deployment.

I found standard fail-over with the PRO licence a real faff (scripts, public DNS configuration requirements, network share etc) and the Enterprise licence does alleviate some of this for you.

The Enterprise licence is a single licence key which can be registered twice from two locations (unlike the FREE, standard and PRO) which can only register to 3CX's licencing servers once.

In regards to the IP Phones I used Yealinks which are fully supported for 3CX. Where you maybe able to get this to work without a standard phone it is not something I would attempt - why make your life harder ?

xserius likes this.
  3. xserius

We have an intercom + videophone unit already, i can connect them to 3cx and everything works fine.
    They just dont support 3CX provisioning so i am curious if this is needed at all for this all to work.

I don't believe its needed as far as i read but i want to be sure, because otherwise we need to find different solution.

The license part is clear now we got an enterprise license so this will work out, thanks!

4. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi xserius,

I have not ever done this with an un-supported model however one point to note here:
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/failover/

I think it would depend on what topology you go for as with most in the list (see above link) at some point will be remote to the 3CX System.

As you may or may not be aware for STUN / SBC to work it is required that you have a fully "supported" phone model: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

It maybe required in that case that some sort of manual configuration is required for the intercom and videophone. I know that in older Fail-over scenarios this could be achieved with the configuration of multiple SIP accounts, however should not be today if the resolution of the FQDN and Public IP do their jobs correctly.

5. Syed123

We have prepared to one of our 3CX customers a failover server… everything is good, if the main server goes down the failover server comes up but the problem is that the ip phones that were working fine on the main server aren’t provisioning with the failover server. They give the following error: ”prov. server failed” even though that the provisioning interface is put to be their FQDN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.