• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Failover Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderHanna

Reaction score
Good Day,

I am about to setup a 3CX failover solution but have a few questions. In this case, the client has one location which currently has an on site 3CX install. As I see it, in order for me to have the benefits of the failover, I would have to install the second 3CX server (passive) at the same location. Is this correct?

I was hoping to install the passive server at a data center. However, if the active server fails and the passive comes up, the phones will be useless.

Or in this case, do I install the active and passive servers and use SBCs to connect to them. This way, if the active fails, then the passive will become active and the SBCs will connect.

It would be good to hear what others are doing with their failoves design.

Is my thinking on this correct. I wish I could find some more information on it.

Thanks for your input.

Alexander

Thank you for your reply Cobaltit. The reason why I am saying useless is because if the passive server is off site when it becomes the active server, how will the phones register. What am I missing.

Thanks

If order to setup a disaster recovery situation - what are you trying to overcome as you will have to plan the potential issues

1. 3CX server is not working.

2. Internet Connections going down , lost of SIP trunks and internet access.

3. Lost of power in office.

If you put the backup server up in the cloud, you will have to setup a site to site vpn between your office and the cloud provider so the phones are still configured as local. Under each phone - phone provisioning the IP Phone interface would have to be a fqdn. In the event of the server failure, you need to redirect the fqdn to the backup server in the cloud. Of course this is not going to work if you do not have any backup internet links or have no power.

Same applies if you have the standby in the same office, all done via fqdn instead of ip

As above every should be covered in https://www.3cx.com/docs/failover/

Last edited:
Thank you Chritopher & Saqqara.

I see that my issue was trying to solve failover and DR at the same time. With the information you provide, I will be able to come up with a hybrid to solve both.

Thanks

Reactions: Boschko
With or without the SBC DNS is still involved provided you choose the correct option at the time of install to use DNS internally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristianNetron
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.