Solved Failover on Enterprise

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by neville, Oct 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neville

neville New Member

I have been working with failover today and had a question about IP addressing. Both servers are on the cloud.

I assume that the network on each server needs to be set to dynamic so the address changes in 3CX DNS. At least, this is the only way to get the address changed at failover that I have found. Is this correct or am I missing something?

All else is working great.

2. Archie Frederic

I think you could assign different static addresses on both servers. No need to go through dynamic.

3. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

the IP address setup should be static and configured accordingly in each PBX used.
    The Failover System will register at startup the new IP address on your FQDN which is used for external devices to connect to (STUN, SBC, 3CXPHone, Presence)...

Depending on your license Type the TTL is different to speed up this process. Ent lics have an ttl of 5 minute to speed up the process but DNS propagation can be overridden by any intermediate DNS cache server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. neville

neville New Member

I need to test this during client demos. How to I fail back to the primary server if I want?

5. neville

neville New Member

I shut down my active server. The passive server started all the services. However, the fqdn still points to the active server IP after 15+ minutes. I went to a public dns server to make sure it was not a dns cache issue, but the active ip still shows up.

6. Archie Frederic

As far as I know, it would take some time for the IP to take effect.

7. StefanW

Staff Member 3CX Support

Depending on your license Type the TTL is different to speed up this process. Ent lics have an ttl of 5 minute to speed up the process but DNS propagation can be overridden by any intermediate DNS cache server. If you use your own custom FQDN, then you need to ensure that the IP is changed!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

@StefanW Care to post what the TTL is for each version? Seems like important information to know for those folks trying to decide what version to purchase.

9. neville

neville New Member

This is working fine. It takes about 2-3 minutes to failover and get back up. I use google DNS so the TTL is very short.

10. tratz

tratz New Member

Neville:

Are these windows machines or Linux machines? I was curious if both linux, what scripts you used to failover the PBXes.

--Tracy

11. neville

neville New Member

These are Linux hosted in the cloud with 3cx.us fqdn. They failover automatically as we are using the Enterprise 3CX license.

12. tratz

tratz New Member

Neville:

Looking at the scripts, the primary script shuts down the box or shuts down the services and then turns on the failover server or are the scripts left out? Just curious

--Tracy

13. neville

neville New Member

We do not use any scripts.

14. StefanW

Staff Member 3CX Support

All Keys use an TTL of 6h
    ENT Keys of 5 minutes

15. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

Great, thanks for the info Stefan!

16. StefanW

Staff Member 3CX Support

welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.