Solved Fanvil X3S(G) Phone - SIP Register Failed

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Brad Coats, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Coats

I have recently obtained a Fanvil X3G phone as I wanted to try out this aesthetically pleasing and economical phone for my customers. I believe it could be quite popular. However, I have been unable to get this phone to register. After reviewing the 3CX website and community forums postings, I dug up the 3CX firmware version 2.0.3.3334 and loaded it to the phone without incident. The phone powers up, shows up in Phones in 3CX and I can assign it to an extension. The phone display updates a time or two through this process, but always says "SIP Register Failed". The name on the top left which was the extension user's name at original provisioning will eventually be replaced with the text "Dial Peer". In the 3CX console, the phone continues to be listed as a "new" device.

I've tried a variety of firmware versions, device resets and multiple reboots, but can't get this phone to fully register.

I also have Yealink phones and am able to register these in the same environment and to the same extension without incident.

3CX is cloud-hosted and the phone(s) are behind an on-premise SBC for automatic provisioning.

Has anybody else run into this issue and identified a solution or have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Brad

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

3. Brad Coats

Thank you very much for your help, @YiannisH_3CX -- I've tried the following firmware versions:

2.0.3.3049 (which is the current version distributed via Fanvil's support site)
    2.0.4.3439 (which is a later version number that I found when browsing Fanvil's file distribution service)
    2.0.3.3334 (which is the version distributed with 3CX 15.5 installed on my server)

When I look at the 3CX page for supported Fanvil phones (https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/fanvil-x3-x5/), I find that the X3S(G) model requires firmware 2.0.3.3334 or later. However, I'm still not able to successfully register the phone with 2.0.3.3334 from 3CX or with 2.0.4.3439 downloaded from Fanvil.

I haven't been able to locate a version 1.4.0.2040 for the X3S(G) model phone.

The device currently has 2.0.3.3334 on it and I just did a factory reset again per your instructions above. When it came back up, it appeared back in the Phones list in my 3CX console as a new phone. I added it to an existing extension per regular procedure. The display on the phone indicated that the update was completed a couple of times and then rebooted. When it came back up, it said SIP Register Failed. It flashed, again that it had been updated after which it showed the proper time, but still said SIP Register Failed. In my 3CX console, this device is still listed as a "New" phone rather than being properly associated with the extension to which I have previously mapped it.

Any other suggestions for things I should try?

Thanks, again, for all of your help!
    Brad

4. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello Brad and thank you for the update,

You are correct about the supported firmware being 2.0.3.3334. I was looking at Fanvil X3P by accident and gave you the wrong firmware.
    What SBC are you using ? Is it windows, linux or a raspberry PI SBC? Do you know the version of the SBC?

5. Brad Coats

Again, thank you, @YiannisH_3CX - sure appreciate the assistance!

This is in one of my small test environments that I use internally to validate equipment / software, so it is running behind a Raspberry Pi SBC. Here is the info (including version) for the 3cxsbc package:

Package: 3cxsbc
    Versions:
    15.5.1136 (/var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.3cx.com_downloads_sbc_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
    Description Language:
    File: /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.3cx.com_downloads_sbc_Packages
    MD5: 475ada8eb0b06decd74d08b6b51390a4

1.0.61335 (/var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.3cx.com_downloads_sbc_Packages)
    Description Language:
    File: /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.3cx.com_downloads_sbc_Packages
    MD5: 475ada8eb0b06decd74d08b6b51390a4

Reverse Depends:
    Dependencies:
    15.5.1136 - libc6 (0 (null)) libgcc1 (0 (null)) libstdc++6 (0 (null)) libssl1.0.0 (0 (null))
    1.0.61335 - libc6 (0 (null)) libgcc1 (0 (null)) libstdc++6 (0 (null)) libssl1.0.0 (0 (null))
    Provides:
    15.5.1136 -
    1.0.61335 -
    Reverse Provides:

As shown above, this is version 15.5.1136 of the SBC, which, I believe, is the latest. I did apply updates to this Raspberry Pi device and all installed packages are up to date. In case it's helpful, I've included available disk space and memory statistics below:

root@sbc01:~# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 7.2G 4.4G 2.5G 64% /
    devtmpfs 458M 0 458M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 462M 0 462M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 462M 6.2M 456M 2% /run
    tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
    tmpfs 462M 0 462M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 63M 21M 42M 34% /boot
    tmpfs 93M 0 93M 0% /run/user/1001

root@sbc01:~# free -h
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 923M 205M 717M 6.2M 13M 151M
    -/+ buffers/cache: 41M 881M
    Swap: 99M 0B 99M

root@sbc01:~# uname -a
    Linux sbc01 4.9.28-v7+ #998 SMP Mon May 15 16:55:39 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

The Raspberry Pi has been rebooted multiple times through testing and I've restarted the 3cxsbc daemon post restart as well.

I'm still seeing the same results in my tests with the Fanvil phone. It appears in the Phones list, I can assign it to an extension and it reboots, but never is able to successful complete SIP registration.

Is there other information that would be helpful that I can provide? Any other thoughts?

Thanks, again!

6. Brad Coats

I found the issue, @YiannisH_3CX --

In order to increase security, I changed my authentication passwords on my extensions to 48 character, randomly generated passwords. After doing further digging and finding than authentication was failing, I shortened this to 24 characters and the X3S phone registers properly. It appears that this particular phone does not like 48 character passwords.

So this issue has been resolved -- very sorry to have you chasing my security/password issue on this matter, but may be good information for us both to have for the future.

Thanks, again -- have an outstanding day!
    Brad

7. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Glad to here the issue is resolved and thank you for sharing your solution to the community.

Have a great day also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.