Fanvil X4 - Firmware problems

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by volkeregenberger, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volkeregenberger

I just bought new Fanvil X4 phones. Very nice phones.
    The now phones came with firmware 2.0.2.2830
    I hooked them up manually to 3CX v15 because provisioning did not work. Now the phone is showing up in the 3CX panel. Phone is working fine.

But: 3CX panel says firmware is not supported. When I click on "+Firmware" it says version 2.0.2.2723 is needed.
    Usually i download the latest firmware from FANVIL and upgrade the phone manually or look into the provisioning folder from my 3CX installation to get a newer firmware that is compatible with 3CX (works for X3 and X5 phones).

So i did on my X4 phone. Manually loaded firmware 2.0.2.2723. Now the phone shows up in 3CX panel as a X3 phone with MAC 00000000000. When i try to lookup infos on the color led screen, the phone says it is a X3 with MAC 0000000000. But the phone has a regular IP address on my network and a valid MAC address. Webaccess of the phone only shows a html error message. When I do a hard reset on the phone it stays with the X3 firmware.
    Is there a way to change the firmware again?

I have a second new X4 phone connected with 3CX now - but 3CX panel still says firmware 2.0.2.2830 is not supported and i cannot provision the phone automatically.

Anyone here has similar issues?

best wishes,
    Volker Egenberger

Attached Files:

Raghed Idris likes this.
  2. Raghed Idris

i did not used fanvil yet i replied to check the solution cause i am willing to purchase ganvil, as they have most needed solutions and models

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello there,

Please note that as long the firmware of the phone does not match the supported firmware of the management console the not supported message will be displayed. So try to get the phones to the supported firmware to avoid that.
    Also i believe the reason the MAC is 000000000 is because the phone is manually provisioned and not auto provisioned.
    Are these local extensions?
    when you factory reset the phone does it appear on the phones tab as new with bold letters? Is the MAC displayed there correctly?

4. dan_tx

This is the exact same problem I am having. Let me clarify what I have done and what the issue appears to be.

It appears the issue is with the 3CX hosted/published firmware for the Fanvil x4. Firmware labeled x42.0.2.2723.z

I bought a Fanvil x4g and added it to the system without issue with whatever firmware it came with, not sure. I then upgraded it the latest firmware from Fanvil's site, x42.0.2.2964.

Still no issues with the latest one from the Fanvil website. I decided I didn't like the red "not supported" in the 3cx console so I wanted to load the 3cx firmware, x42.0.2.27423.z You can't download it from Fanvil since it appears they only keep the last 3 versions. I used the 3cx management to do an update and download firmware, and after the phone does this, the following issues occur:

1. The phone GUI looks messed up.
    2. The phone reports that it's model is X3 on the phone GUI and from within 3cx.
    3. The phone and 3cx report the MAC is 0000000000000
    4. You can' t access the phone web portal from 3cx or directly via the phones IP.
    5. 3cx can't provision or use the phone.

Once this 3cx firmware is applied, the phone is basically worthless. The only *fix* is to boot into post and do an FTP update as described here (http://www.fanvil.hk/index.php/fanvil-ip-phone-resolve-post-mode/) and reload a Fanvil firmware.

To ensure it wasn't just a bad download or bad install, I deleted the x4 firmware download off the 3cx server located in "firmware_new" folder, modified the firmwares.json, and then restarted some services. 3cx said the x4 firmware was available to download again in the console. I downloaded it again, however I then manually copied it from the 3cx server to my desktop and using the IP phones GUI did a firmware update with the just downloaded firmware from 3cx. The same issues occurred. Phone thinks its an X3, etc.

To be honest it's very disconcerting this has occurred. I am assuming that perhaps there was a file naming error by 3CX or an X3 firmware was placed in the folder for x4's. One of the reasons I was testing out Fanvil was I read this recently,

"Before any new firmware is made available for the Fanvil IP Phones, both 3CX and Fanvil will test the firmware on the latest version of 3CX Phone System to ensure that the IP Phones are fully interoperable and automatically configured with 3CX Phone System."
    -http://www.3cx.com/blog/press-releases/fanvil-ip-phones/

I can only image the downtime this would cause an organization if they had 100+ Fanvil X4's deployed and then would have to FTP firmware update all of them to get them back to working. Granted, the argument could be made only a fool would do a mass deploy firmware update without testing it first.

For now I'm going to do an FTP update for the 2nd time and will just have to wait for 3cx to provide a working branded firmware. The one they have now appears to be broken.

Attached Files:

• x4.jpg
      x4.jpg
      File size:
      57.5 KB
      Views:
    #4 dan_tx, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. dan_tx

A few things to clarify:
    1. I tried factory reset, etc on the phone. Nothing fixed the issue except an FTP update via POST to a different firmware other than the 3cx provided one.
    2. I guess there could be an issue with "downgrading" the firmware. It has always been on a newer version than the 3cx firmware when attempting to change to what 3cx provides.

6. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @dan_tx

Just tried with an X4 now. Provisioned and installed recommended firmware and it works as intended (see attached image)
    also checked the differences between the X4 and the X4g and it seems that the difference is in the gigabit Ethernet so firmware should work.
    And we do test the firmwares with Fanvil before releasing.
    Are you sure you downloaded the correct firmware from the management console?

2017-01-24_11h33_34.png

7. dan_tx

I am as sure as possible I downloaded and installed the correct firmware. I have done it a third time just now and took multiple screenshots and photos to show what I see. I've attached the file information, location, console display, and phone display. This is repeatable and occurs 100% of the time. I have not even downloaded the X3 firmware as shown in the attached photos since we do not use that model phone. Please review attached. I can email you the firmware the 3cx server download if you would like or you can send me the firmware you have and see if that works for me. Either way, it appears the firmware being download via the 3cx console is broken on my fanvil x4g and the original poster of this thread.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate.

Attached Files:

8. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Please upload your firmware on a web sharing service like dropbox or we transfer and send me the download link in a p.m.
    In the meantime i will investigate if the Fanvil X4g will work with the same firmware as it does not appear in our supported list.
    https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

9. dan_tx

I sent you a PM where the firmware was uploaded. I'm sure it is what you have and it appears the issue is probably going to be the x4G. The only difference I see between the X4 and X4G is the x4G uses gigabit Ethernet instead of 10/100 and that is the reason we would use them instead.

It appears Fanvil uses the same firmware for both the X4 and X4G and contains a single download that works with either version, however I'm guessing the issue is the older firmware that 3CX is currently supporting/downloading cannot work with the X4G and breaks it.

In my previous post I included the file checksum, if yours matches I think it's safe to say we are using the same one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.