• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Fax extension answers but nothing happens??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapatter

Reaction score
hi have setup inbound rule to go to fax extension, phone is answered by fax, but then nothing happens? no fax handshake etc??

Yup i get an engaged tone after a bit.

Changed the extension to one of those i used for my normal calls also still same result.

Btw i noticed that count towards licence limit seems to come up in this latest version of 3cx V8 or was it there before and i never noticed it?

Thanks.

Are you using the Free edition? According to ...http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/edition-comparison.html The Integrated Fax Server is not included. Could that be the problem?

it is the free version, but it supports the faxserver and it is installed

Hi Nope it is a NFR licence.

anyone got a solution???

Make sure your IP is properly updated at your SIP provider. I had the same problem and it turned out to be that. I never did get a successful FAX sent through, even after getting the PBX to negotiate a connection over SIP. 3CX support tried it themselves and couldn't get it working, and told me it was because the provider was unsupported.

this is just a direct connection from landline through gateway, no external ip...the server says it is answering and sending to the fax software....but no handshaking nothing?

Landline connected to -- what, exactly? Does that hardware support T.38? Also, as mentioned above, the free edition's FAX server is not active. Are you using the demo key with 2 lines maximum available, or the free edition with 4 lines?

its connected to a cisco / linksys SPA-3102 - so yes. It is the 2 line free version with the fax added, and the debug looks like it it working, routing the call...but then nothing??

so does this work on the free edition with two licenses? appears to from the call debug?

The Linksys is not supported as an incoming fax gatway. It can do pass-through to the FXS port but not to 3CX.

How come? It seems to route it to the 3cx ok, it supports the various fax protocols for voip?

Not sure. I have never been able to get mine working either. We tested a GWX4108 and it worked perfectly. Leejor is the forums 3102 expert. Maybe he can chime in on his experience.

Anyway to get him to comment on this thread / issue?

I haven't actually used (or tried) the incoming PSTN on a 3102 to route to a Fax machine located on 3CX. I know that there are a number of settings to supposedly accommodate the use of Fax (under PSTN Line/Audio Configuration), you can "play" with those, but from what I've read on other sites/forums it could come down to the make, or age, of the fax machine. So even if you have all of the 3102 fax settings set to the way that should work, it may not in your case.

This is a good article on the problems of fax over VoIP. http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html

I have had success sending faxes out to a VoIP provider from a fax machine plugged directly into an SPA1001.

I am simply trying to get the 3cx fax server to answer the call and process it.....the 3102 is simply the pstn gateway....the 3cx log i posted at the top shows the 3cx fax server routing the call to 888.....but then nothing.....can you have a look at the log? would seem to me that it is the 3cx server?

Do you have a VoIP "way" to bring a fax call into 3CX? You could try a free account at a site like SipPhone, then set up a free number at IPkall (forwards to VoIP account) ,and send in a fax that way to test. Have you tried changing (playing with) any of the fax options on the 3102?

just checking now...what options would you suggest? as far as i could see it wasnt interferring it was passing the call to the 3cx server....but it wasnt picking up properly (although it did route it to the fax extension).

If any option(s) is going to make a difference, and there is no guarantee, then it will probably be under PSTN/Audio Configuration tab. Anything with the word "fax" in it is fair game. Just make note of how you found the settings and try changing them one at a time to begin with. This is going be a trial and error, and as I said, no guarantee it will make a difference. I would suspect that the default settings are set to the optimal for fax, but in your case, you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.