Fax extension not registering

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by djboxny, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djboxny

I did a clean install of 3cx 9. And also received the Full 2 line demo key which according to 3cx staff enables all features except g.729. , everything works fine except that the fax extension is not registering even do the services is running, it doesn't even show in the logs that the fax extension is even trying to register. I did do the Nat setting in the custom parameters and the other thing is set to 1, Is their. Process to make this work because the one I saw was from 2009

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Inbound fax and outbound fax are two different things and fax server and fax machines are two different things.

3cx has an inbound fax server which will use the default system extension of 888 (for a 3 digit 3cx) and needs to be set up as you described. You should be able to see it registered in the system extensions. You can then route inbound calls to the fax server and it will receive and email it to the extension you choose or to the default email of the fax server.

If you wish to use a fax machine then you need an ATA and register a Fax Machine extension, then set up the extension on the ATA with the credentials. Faxing out over VOIP (FOIP)is not straightforward. It depends on who your provider it and if they can handle t38 and then making sure your ATA is correctly set up. There are better ways to do this such as relayfax.

To receive a fax on the fax machine via the ata is straightforward. Once the extension is registered then you can route an inbound call the the fax machine.

I strongly recommend you discuss this with your 3cx certified partner. If you do not have one, then by all means contact us and we will be glad to help you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. djboxny

I am only taking about the Inbound 3cx fax. Nothing more, I am not going to commit to buy a lisence if I don't get this to work. Why isn't it registering. It's the only system extention. Not registered

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

So the service is running but the system extension is not showing as registered? Showing a red light for 888?

That would seem to imply there is a mistake in one of the two config files. Double check the files to make sure you uncommented what needed uncommenting and commenting the other lines.

Can you restart the fax service then post the server activity log so we can see if it complains about something.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. djboxny

Will do. If I get this working I will buy. A mini license from u, I will post my findings later to ight

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Great.

I have just sent you a pm with some more information that may help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.