• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

fax machines & VoIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew_hall9

Reaction score
Hi, Can someone explain to me why there are issues with some fax machines using VoIP? This is really frustrating and I'd like to know when we can all expect these issues to be resolved. I have a VoIP phone and my new all-in-one machine can't fax or receive faxes because of my VoIP service. I'm really bummed about this. If anyone has any insight into why this is a problem and when companies will be resolving these communication issues I would really like to know.

Fax is a pretty old analog technology and not really suited for VOIP. If you must use a fax machine, its best to connect it to a normal analog phone line. We will be introducing T38 fax support, but it will not work with your fax machine. Another option is to subscribe to a fax service provider that sends you the fax via mail.

The biggest issue with Fax is compression as the best voip fax on a perfect network is 14,400 and this requires perfect networks, No Compression and no relay. To get all this on a Internet based service is nigh on impossible unless you are paying $$$ for QOS on your internet link and all steps between it and the sender.

Fax as a voip solution is nt realy cost effective in most instances anyway due most faxes being 1-2 minutes unlike the average phone call. Of course on an internal network it is a differenct story as you can control all these things and the support for T38 is available in most Gateway devices available to connect you to the Telephone world.

Fax over VoIP

Hi, You can get fax to work over VoIP. I have no problem IF :!:
You set the VoIP til use G711u and the fax to 9,600 then it will work. I have a old fax and it is working fine, no problem at all.
I have allso a new fax not good :(

If you are working with PCMU it can be very reliable especially on contraint networks (like internet) . Missed packets mean a lot of loss unfortunatley.

some time ago i used some voip adapters with fax and there was some problems but there are differce between providers and at one i have hat a quote 1 bad fax from 10 and at a other i have hat 9 bad faxes out of ten .

u have to use the best quality u can and have to ensure that faxes that where not send out can be send out with a delay from a backup (normal) line .

but if u want to use voip for faxspam then please go to hell

andy

G.711 faxing is the emulation of standard circuit switched faxing over a packet based solution. It is a way to send a VoIP based fax if you do not have access to T.38 faxing support.

G711 fax requires high availability and low response times on your network in order to avoid transmission jittering, which will cause the fax attempt to fail.

If you intend to use G711 faxing, typically it must be on an internal
network, connected either directly to your fax device or to a service provider that advertises support for G711 faxing.

Are anySIP-FAX gateway in the market?

josvic said:

Hi,
on my own, I use this capability with a simple ATA from Planet: VIP-156
It accept T38 and the firmware has just been released and works fine.

Of course, depending of the Internet band quality it need to retry 4 or 6 times before fax is sent.

Details:
http://www.planet.com.tw/product/product_dm.php?product_id=372&menu_id=3

Otherwise, you can look for a SIP T38 provider. You can find one through this forum but it won't be free.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP+Service+Providers+T.38

josvic said:

Most of SIP gateways are supported T.38, ONLY the IPPBX NOT SUPPORT.

FAX-VOIP

There is also a lot of software drivers available, you don't require any hardware.
Think of it as a VOIP softphone for fax, the only problem is you will have to have your PC running 24/7.

Re: FAX-VOIP

super_voip said:
There is also a lot of software drivers available, you don't require any hardware.
Think of it as a VOIP softphone for fax, the only problem is you will have to have your PC running 24/7.

software drivers... can u tell me where? I have no probblems to let a machine 24/7/365...

Thanks.

No one knows a VOIP softphone for fax in the market?

Regards.

I currently use Snappy Fax http://www.snappysoftware.com/ and my Vonage line to handle my fax needs. A Fax Softphone, if it exists, would not be of use right now since 3CX does not support fax in any form (to the best of my knowledge). Snappy Fax is a separate piece of software that has a Server / Client setup allowing me to fax from any PC via the single server connected to Vonage (Teed in with SPA3102). It works for me but I am not recommending anything. I would prefer 3CX when it becomes able.

OK. Thanks anyway.

FAX over IP FOIP

check out the Ericsson boardless fax drivers, they can send a very LARGE number of faxes at once. http://www.3cx.com/PBX/FOIP.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.