Fax Media port error

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by skagen, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skagen

Hello, I am having an issue faxing using a grandstream 286 ATA. Whenever I send or receive a fax, I get a communication error. I have contacted Broadvox (my provider) and they took a packet capture and said that my system is responding with a media port of "0" which they said will shut down the media stream, and that I need to change my media port. I am not really sure what they are talking about, or where to change my media port. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Can you send the capture? Who is responding with a media port of "0"?

Since Broadvox supports T38, then the grandstream has to be configured using T38 Mode by default.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. t4mack

Are using two nic cards on the PBX? that the right interface is configured on in setting > fax. Also make sure that it's correct in custom parameters (settings > advanced > custom parameters). Let us know if it works out for you. Also we have broadvox for a provider. The support team for 3cx had to twaek our system for the outgoing faxes to work. For faxes the system wasn't sending out T38 first it was sending out PCMU and the ntrying to send T38. For faxes to work with broadvox T38 must be sent first.

Hope this helps.

4. skagen

Thanks for the responses.
    Nicky: My PBX is the one responding with the media port of "0", and I have checked the grandstream and it is set for T38.
    T4: I am using 1 nic, and the correct interface is set up in the fax section. As for the custom parameters, which one? I looked through and the only one relating to fax is FAXDIRECTSDP (currenty set to "1") which deals with incoming faxes.
    It sounds like the sending of PCMU first is whats happening. Do you recall what they changed for you?

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

The reason is that the environment you are trying to realize is not supported.
    PBX informs your provider and your gateway about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. skagen

hmm, so does that mean there is no way I can send faxes from an existing analog fax machine through an ATA adaptor with my current config? I am running an enterprise version of 3CX.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What you might try doing, is, register the 286 ATA direct with Broadvox, see if that works. If it doesn't, then you are never going to get it working when passing through 3CX.

8. skagen

That is extremely disappointing. Registering directly with the provider and by-passing the 3CX system, although it may work, I don't believe is a viable option, but I will have to check with Broadvox to see how that will work with my DID's.
    I find it hard to believe that there is not a setting that will allow pass-through of the fax. I am starting to play with the fax server and fax client on the pc to see if there is another way we can use our fax numbers, but since a couple of our machines are general purpose for a number of people to use, I am not sure where to send the incoming faxes, without having someone dedicated to receiving and then distributing them to the appropriate person.
    The quest continues...

9. t4mack

do you have the current update for 3cx Fax. The issue may have been corrected in that build. We were provided with a dll file from 3cx that corrected the issue with the fax.

10. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

If you have multiple DID's for FAX then, with 3CX FAX service, you can configure each DID to deliver fax to specific e-mail address.
    If it is only one then it can be the problem, but (my opinion) not bigger then to receive FAXes on the shared FAX machine connected to PBX using ATA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.