• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Fax tones heard when dialing and answering

Status
Not open for further replies.

andykeen

Reaction score
Hi All.

Our client is running a 3cx server on an windows server 2003 machine. It is PSTN only no VoIP.

All has been running fine for many months however recently they have been complaining that sometimes when they answer a call or make a call they can hear fax tones.

I too heard the noise when I dialled in - when the auto attendant answers a fax noise kicked-in.

Its not all the time, and sometimes if they hang up and dial again they can hear the same noise.

Had anyone experienced this at all?

Thay tell me there is no fax machine on the line, no credit card system and I have stopped the 3cx fax service just in case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Regards
Andy

Is there an alarm system sharing the phone line? That can do it too, although, unless it's faulty (or trying to call out), it doesn't usually happen on outgoing calls.

Hi Leejor.

I have had that issue too and if its the redcare system its usually a Chirp - but this is most definitely a fax tone.

Could the 3cx fax system be interrupting the call at all ?

I haven''t heard of it happening, but that doesn't mean that it's not impossible, just highly unlikely.

If the fax service is disabled in Windows Services, that should eliminate any remote possibility that is actually the fax server portion of 3CX. Do all calls route to the auto attendant? Have you tried, for test purposes, sending incoming calls to an extension, to see if you have similar issues?

Going back to alarm systems...the way many are set-up..is that if the phone line is called, let ring once or twice, and the line is called back a second time within a given time frame. The alarm system modem will answer. This allows that alarm company remote access to the system. Normally, this doesn't cause a problem, but, if you could confirm that there is no alarm system on the phone line, the would eliminate the possibility that it is having something to do with this. As I said, if one is present, it might be faulty.

If this is a new installation, in an office building, be sure that the cable pair doesn't also connect to another office in the building. I've seen it where inexperienced, or rushed installers have not bothered to check that the riser pair only terminates in one location.

What make of gateway is involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxFrank
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.