FAX & Voice Detection/Segregation

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by GlobalNemesis, Oct 6, 2007.

1. GlobalNemesis

I am wondering if anyone knows of a VoIP Gateway device which could be used to segregate incoming fax and voice calls on the same PSTN line :?:

Currently I have a customer who uses Bitware software to intercept inbound calls and convert to fax or voicemail as appropriate.

They are looking at 3CX and want to know if there is any way they can continue to use the scenario they have currently i.e. a single contact phone number for their customers, but pass the FAX calls to a Bitware for receipt and pass any voice calls to 3CX.

I suspect it may not be possible, out-bound fax detection is catered for, but anyone have any ideas/thoughts :?:

2. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

http://www.commandcommunications.com/comswitch7500.php
    This is what I use. PSTN Line >> Comswitch >> Fax port to software fax server modem & Phone port to SPA3102. So call comes in, Comswitch answers and listens for fax tone, if fax tone present call is sent to Fax Server, if no fax tone, call is sent to SPA3102 which brings it into 3CX. Works fine 99.99%, nothing is 100%. The only time Fax definitely does not detect is for those that also use a single voice / fax line so when sending, they dial number and wait for your fax tones before pressing "Send" on their machine. If Comswitch does not "hear" fax tones from them first, it does not send call to your Fax system. For someone dialing in on a voice call its not detectable since Comswitch simulates the ring tone to them while its listening for fax tones. NOW I use a Comswitch 3500, old model, never used this model so my description is based in my setup. Lots of models on eBay at lower prices if you wish to test. If you are in North America I could offer you one since I have two I no longer use. Combined Fax from 3 locations into one via Software Fax Server.

3. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I'd be interested in one of those if you still have them?

4. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Yep, still have them in a box (somewhere). I will find one and boot it your way on Tuesday since this is our Thanksgiving long weekend.

5. dyntech

dyntech New Member

Mirzab is right, this appears to be the best way to fix this.

I recently bought a Comswitch 7500 for use with my SPA3102/3CX and it works fine.

I think I remember reading in the manual that it will still detect a fax tone even on a voice call and automatically switch it over.

You really need to have "Distinctive Ring" from your telco for this to work as planned.

6. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

That's great thanks! Let me know if I owe you anything for it. I can paypal you if you'd like.

7. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Do you still have these available?

8. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Interesting solution Mirzab!

In addition, if the gateway supports it, patton, grandstream and audiocodes do - you can setup fax detection at the gateway end and decide what to do with it there. Using the t38 fax feature of version 4 you can receive faxes via email...

9. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Sorry Rob, I have a new small business opening its doors next Monday and have been very short on time. I have the switch in hand, in a box. Just have to make it over to the Postal Outlet. I will do my best to get it done tomorrow.

Nick, enough with the carrot dangling, I am definitely biting :lol: Release v4 already before we all revolt!