Fax

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by galal202, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello
    Can I use my gateway to recieve fax on fax machine
    I have Linksys spa3102 and Grandstream 503

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

3CX PBX will not forward faxes to fax machine. It can only forward to its own virtual fax box.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello archie
    Thank you for your reply
    you mean ext. 88888
    It open only the line with out fax tone
    do you know how to use it ?

4. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello
    after read the manual I found my self did the right configuration
    the problem when the pbx open the line no fax tone

5. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

The FAX only support at commercial editions.
    Which version of 3CX in use?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

If you want to use a fax machine with an ata, then the actual faxing does not concern the pbx. For the pbx its just another voice call.

If you want to have your gateway receive the faxes as a pdf file, then you must use a supported gateway - patton, audiocodes have been tested with fax. Then you can send and receive faxes via the gateway, WITHOUT requiring a fax machine.

There is some confusion around this - once again, if you want to use your old fax machine, connect it to an ATA. And use G711 as the codec. This will work reasonably well but the compression can cause problems for some fax machines or sending fax machines. We are considering making it possible to support a t38 ATA as well so you can use your old fax machine.... But right now this is not tested yet, we are working on it.

7. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello Nick Galea
    it's clear to me now I'll try it
    Thank you very much

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

You can do the following

First and foremost check the firmware version of the spa and upgrade to latest firmware. Latest firmware is 5.1.7(GW). Do not bother with older firmware of the device.

1) Connect the fax machine to the phone port of the 3102
    2) Create and extension in the PBX - say for example 118.
    3) Log into the SPA and under Voice LINE 1 register 118 as an extension with registrar settings and outbound proxy etc - wait for a registration success.

Now after registration is successfull start the configuration of the spa. Do the following:
    Line 1
    1) Network Jitter Level - Very high
    2) Jitter Buffer Adjustment - disable
    3) Call Waiting Serv - no
    4) Three way call serv - no
    5) Echo canceller - no (very imp)
    6) Preferred Codec - G711u
    7) Fax enable T38 - Enabled

After this is configured, Go in 3CX and in the lines configuration set one of the lines to forward all calls as fax to Extension 118.

Go into the extension settings of 118 and dont forget to enter a valid email address.

Try and send a fax from PSTN to the fax machine behind the SPA. It should work.

Then after this send a fax directly from the fax machine connected to the ATA to a fax destination. It should work as well.

9. alsoft

Hello, I use only Voip carriers no pstn.
    Can i use fax over ip with t38 passthrought? I have a compatible ata and a compatible fax (with t38 protocol). My VoIP carriers support t38 too.

Thanks in advance.

ps: i use the free edition of 3CX

10. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    Fax is not enabled in the Free edition.

11. alsoft

Hi, I don't need the fax funcions. I need only the t38 passthrought (from voip carrier to ata). is enabled in free edition?

12. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

The pbx will not understand T38 in this mode and will drop the call. If you have a PBX in the middle between the provider receiving the fax and an ATA that has all the functions for fax, the PBX has to understand T38 to "Pass it through" to the ATA.

Now if the PBX does not understand T38, it will drop the call.

This is just like a Voip Provider that does not support Fax and it receives a call with T38 media. It is the same concept.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.