Faxing from SPA3102 through GXW4104 (over POTS)

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by FGCUHank, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

I'm trying to get faxing from the SPA3102 going and am running into some issues.

Details first.

Brother MFC440CN > SPA3102 > 3cx > GXW4104 (pots) dialing into the office 3cx system the 3cx fax server receiving faxes (known good at the office)

The Brother has been switched down to 9600 baud.
    The ATA side of the SPA3102 has been configured per the 3cx blog doc.
    Calls can be made inbound/outbound over the GXW4101 and to/from a regular phone attached to the SPA3102

Here is what I'm seeing.
    The fax dials, the call goes through the SPA, through 3cx and the GXW4104 dials. I then watch the office 3cx system and see the fax server answer.

At that time I hear the Brother try to handshake for a second or two then silence.

Watching the SPA3102 at this point I see about 100 packets sent and received and that is it. The call stays connected for about 30 seconds with no more packets sent across the SPA. At that point I see the 3cx at the office disconnect the call.
    If I did it right this post should have a screenshot attached from the SPA.

Just for an empirical test, I made 2 other test calls. 1 with setting the fax extension in my 3cx to PBX delivers audio and then another call with T.38 support disabled in the SPA. Both of these calls have huge packet and byte count statistics but the fax errored out.

Any tips or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Also note, I can't use the PSTN side of the SPA in this case.

Attached Files:

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

It seems a long winded way of going about sending a fax.

Fax machine (analog) to SPA3102 (digital) to 3cx (digital) to Grandsteam (digital) to POTS (analog).

I assume you want to be able to send the fax over the first available POTs and not hard wire to one?

You may have to factory reset the 3102 if you have made a lot of changes.

You must add the 3102 as a fax extension and not a normal extension in 3cx. I also find turning off the t38 on the 3102 works better with 3cx.

May I also suggest you look into a better solution - RelayFax. We are an authorised reseller and can give you a 30 day trial. You can use the MFC as a scan to fax with a one button scan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

Thanks for the reply Mark, yes it is long winded but I am trying to duplicate the scenario/hardware that I'm stuck with in our office in Switzerland. I got dealt the hand of cards and have to play it.

I will try your tips and will gladly accept any others.

All the best.
    Hank

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

You could also try the 3102 direct to the Grandstream and bypass 3cx. Again I would turn off t38 on the 3102 as the grandstream should be handling that part.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the tips. I reset everything and I got faxing working through the SPA3102 (FXS and FXO gateways).

Seems to be something in the Grandstream 4104 which I will probably work on just to sort out. However the site overseas has a Patton ISDN unit so I need to sort that out before I work on the GS. (Will be working on the Patton this week)

I will document and post my working SPA config in another thread in a few days.

All the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.